DIY Question - Stripping peeling paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to paint our bedroom but have hit a problem. We were sugar soaping the walls when the paint that was on there previously (from a former owner of the house) started to peel off. We picked at it a bit which made the problem worse so we decided to get all that paint off the wall rather than just paint over it and risk having our new coat peel off in the future.

The paint itself is very strange, when you get a large amount peeling without it breaking it's feels like a baloon.

I've attached some pics. They're from my phone so not the best quality but they give you an idea.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

However, it takes AGES to peel off. I think I did about half a square metre in an hour yesterday. The pics above are from where i've been trying to take it off in one sheet but in most places you can't do that because it won't come off easily.

I've tried taking a steamer to it which helps a little but I'm scared of blowing the plaster underneath.

Any ideas on how to get this off quicky?

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit of a DIY n00b to be honest. It definitely has a bit of a sheen to it but I'd say it's matt...

Sponsored Links
It may be an One-Coat Emulsion or an Flexible Matt Emulsion or an "Special" Hiding Cracks Paint.

Either way, just take it all off the way you are. I know it will take ages.

Also, the effect on your pic can happen when cheap emulsion has been PAINTED OVER with Flexible coatings. Even also when paint is overthinned and later overcoated.

Is the underneath paint chalky or nearly chalky or non chalky ?

Also, how strong did you make the sugar soap ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back