Easy light switch question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the fusebox switched off, I was trying to pull a cable out through a wall, but tugged on the wrong one and tore it out the back of a single lightswitch! :oops:

To reconnect it, I have a red wire, a black wire and a bare wire with a green / yellow sleeve.

On the back of the switch, there is a connector at the top marked 'COM' and at the bottom there are two connectors, 'L1' and 'L2'.

I think red was connected to COM because there was a bit of red sleeve left behind. I'm guessing black goes to 'L1' or 'L2', but which one? I'm confused as to what to do with green / yellow because diagrams suggest it should be connected to some metal in the wall mount, but the wall mount is all plastic!?!?!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Up and running again now.

Re. the other thread. The replies I got were a complete waste of time. In the end I sussed that no-one knew what they were talking about / thought that their knowledge was privilidged.

That circuit was parallel as I had suspected, and was easily wired as an OR gate using the PIRs. Laugh all you like but I got much more help from other forums (which was a shame). I changed my switches within an hour and they have been running brilliantly for 6 months since. I'll try to remeber to post my pics next time I'm back in London.

Thanks for your help with this one though.

Peace.

Gabe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back