Lighting a path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like to place some LED lights along my path to light it up at night.
Something like this...
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97593&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=LED LIGHT&doy=3m4

The paths runs from the house to the garage through the garden. About 20m in total. I'd like to have some form of sensor activated light that is triggered from either end of the path. This would enable the lights to come on when you are walking in either direction, house to garage or garage to house.

There is power in the garage and there will be a socket on the outside wall of the house, so power from either end is fine.
I've not seen any products that can do trigger from either end, so can anyone recommend a solution?

Hope that makes sense.
Alan

Sponsored Links
2 240v PIR detectors, one either end.

Run a 4 core SWA from an isolator down the path, looping through 4x4x2 or 4x2x2 gewiss (plastic IP rated enclosure) type boxes at the location for each light and each pir. If the lights are LV with a central transformer - use your initiative on location of boxes.

Put the boxes on the back of a post, with the light on the front of the post. Use a dome top TRS gland for the flex. ALL holes should be on the underside of the box ideally. 3 20mm holes will require a 6x4x2 gewiss for all holes to be in the bottom.

In the four cores, use one as earth (As well as the SWA), one as neutral, one as a perment live (for both pir's) and the last as the switched live (from each pir).

or put one pir in such a position it will see you no matter which way you are going.

and get some decent lights, ok i was not the exact same ones as shown, very similar though, and it soon became a flood light, in that water flooded into the light when it rained, also I have noticed there seems to be cheaper and cheaper led lights (the maplin ones fill this category) cheaper led lights are made using cheaper production methods and cheaper leds, i have seen a lot of led lights with leds that have fialed and being as most are sealed units there is nothing you can do about it

breezer said:
or put one pir in such a position it will see you no matter which way you are going
I would try to avoid that - the larger coverage, the more it will nuisance trip!

Also be aware that a PIR reacts quicker, and more reliably to movement of heat ACROSS the field, not towards it.

Sponsored Links
i know it does, so if one pir were mounted higher up in the middle.............

other thing regarding the maplin lights is yes they are all 12v, so two cables will need to be run, one for the pir's, one for the lights

20m path? I wouldn't even try....

For the price of two PIR's is it worth the hastle?

i believe that there are wireless battery operated pir's available that switch from a remote point..

so you can have 2 of those and use 3 core flex to provide a 0V and a switched and unswitched 12V feed ( which you can then "frig" the pirs to work off and eliminate the need for batteries.. )

I also once saw some 12V garden lights that just clipped on to a figure 8 cable to get power.. saves a lot of hassle with junction boxes and such...

only once saw garden lights that clip onto a cable? most do, do that. slecect a light do, as sold by b & Q

to be honest since I didn't have a garden until recently, such things did not interest me..
I possibly saw it on QVC DIY hour on sundays a long time ago..

Those 'festoon' type connections on the cable are asking for trouble. They are not very water tight. They are no longer permissible for mains voltage, so why use it on ELV? The ultra-sonic welded types are fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back