Garage to kitchen conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My first post but looking for some help if poss.
I'm just about to start extending our kitchen into the garage which will involve knocking down the wall between the two.
Unfortunately, the garage floor is 310mm lower than present kitchen floor and I'm wondering which is the easiest way to build the floor up to the same level as kitchen.
Other tasks I have to look at are putting in a partition wall and also insulating the outer wall (using insulated plasterboard direct onto a wooden frame fastened to the wall?)
The garage door is to be replaced with a wall and window.

Can anyone give me some brief ideas/hints on which way to go about this?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
galleyslave said:
Unfortunately, the garage floor is 310mm lower than present kitchen floor and I'm wondering which is the easiest way to build the floor up to the same level as kitchen.
The reason the garage floor is lower because of flammable liquid cannot enter into the hall or kitchen etc.

Before you do anything have you got building or planning permission ?

Hi Masona,
I knew about the requirement for the height difference. Building regs guy was out last week and I don't require any planning permission for the work I have planned which kind of confirmed the project. The wife is happy!! :LOL:

I'm an engineer by trade and enjoy all aspects of DIY but having never done these particular tasks, I prefer to find out how to do things rather than make a mess and have to start again.
Any ideas for the floor raising or how to insulate the wall? I will use a stud wall to partition off the end of the garage as I will be using this as a utility room. I will be getting a bricklayer to build the new wall.

Okay,

Where about is the damp proof course level in the garage compare to the kitchen ? is it on the same level ?

Sponsored Links
In a word, No!
I can't see a damp proof course on the outer garage wall. The present kitchen and garage were an extension about 18yrs ago. Its a 1930's bungalow. The outer garage wall looks to be made from 9" thick block, single skin onto the concrete floor. Is it possible the damp course is at floor level or was there a requirement to have the damp course on this wall?

Yes garage should have a dpc, there should be dpc minimum 150mm high from ground level somewhere.

You can either put in wall plate above the dpc around the garage wall and put in joists hanger as a floating flooring,

Or put down a 3 to 4 row sleeper walls depending on room span with dpc + 4"x2" wallplate on top for the joists to rest on, this type of flooring will need air brick vent below dpc. This is the way I would go, cheaper and quicker plus the floor being warm with easy access under the floor for pipe & cable etc.

Or you could backfill with hardcore with thin layer of soft sand with DPM on top to protect the DPM then at least 100mm concrete with 50mm floor screed (sharp sand with cement ) Expensive and hard work !

tks Masona,
I have had a good look atthe wall and there doesn't seem to be a damp proof course. Does this mean the wall will have to come down and be rebuilt?

Is the wall facing brickwork or blocks with rendering or slab type etc ?

Looks like 9" wide blocks have been used with only a white wash type of covering. Very poor cementing between too. I was poking at it to have a look and loads fell out. Not a good sign.

I've decided to post the web address of a site to follow my progress. Any information or hints will be very useful as i've never done this sort of thing before! :LOL:

here

I've finally managed to get everything underway with a very tight schedule. ust keeping my fingers crossed that the tradesmen required will turn up on time and that the appliances don't get lost in shipping" It would be just my luck.

So the builder turned up late!! What a surprise. Not what you want when the project is on a time limit. (self imposed time limit)
I didn't realise the amount of dust that can be generated when knocking out walls etc. A hint to all of those about to embark on a project. Keep a bedroom, a living room and the bathroom available and reasonably tidy at all times. Difficult I know but you need it to maintain your sanity :)

So everything turned up this morning, ie fridge, extractor, plaster board, timber, damp proof. After 6 days of non stop work (12-14hr days) on my own I am now beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I am updating my website of the project each day, if I don't fall asleep before hand. Thanks again to all of those who post on this site as I use all information I can find. Regularly!! :D

FooK!!!!!

Here is a nightmare scenario:- You eventually get a builder to come and start the work on the garage conversion you are doing. Ok, so the foundations need to be dug out so off we go. About 10" down we notice some water oozing through the soil. There is a soft layer of soil/sand stuff under the bed of concrete which is the garage floor. There is then a layer of clay as we go further down. I have no idea where the water is coming from yet but the builder is looking into it. The whole garage floor might have to be ripped up!! AARRGGHHHHH.

The problem I envision is the amount of truth in the amount of information that a couple of passing neighbours have imparted. "Did you know that there is an old stream system that runs under a number of the houses down this lane?" No!!, I bloody well didn't!!!

I'm off to cry for now!

galleyslave said:
Other tasks I have to look at are putting in a partition wall and also insulating the outer wall (using insulated plasterboard direct onto a wooden frame fastened to the wall?)
The garage door is to be replaced with a wall and window.

I converted my garage into two or ebedrooms and had the same problems. I filled the garage door opening with a timber frame with a window built on three courses of brickwork. I insulated the wall and cladded it with plastic cladding. It looked good and match the existing building.

As for the floor I had to put two coats of black gunk called "synthaprufe" and had to carry this up the wall a bit. I built the level up with 4 x2s from the floor and put a chipboard floor over it.

All done according to regs and was inspected and approved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back