turn off radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
now summer is here i wish to turn off selected radiators in certain rooms of my house tat i am not useing.
problem is which side of the radiator do i adjust is it the side with the air bleed valve or the opposite or does it matter

Sponsored Links
Just to turn them off does not matter. Traditionally on/off would be right hand side.

Sponsored Links
There's usually one wheelhead valve or thermostatic valve and one lockshield valve on each radiator. They can be on either end.

The wheelhead valve or thermostatic valve is usually the only one with a normal tap head, and is used to regulate the output and turn the radiator on and off.

The lockshield valve usually just has a loose cover clipped over a bare valve spindle. This valve is used to balance the water flow in the system, and is left untouched in normal use.

if you do have trv's on one end i would personally say try and avoid turning them off esp for all the summer as they can jam up ie the pin gets stuck down. just turn off the lock shield of you have them i would say personally.

If you do turn of the lockshield make a note of how many turns it takes to close off, down to quarter turns. When you then turn back on you will know exactly how far to open it so keeping the system balancing right.

there are not gas radiators but ones ran from an oil fired burner so does this make a difference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back