Dimmer switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The dimmer switch that I have recently purchased only has two holes - L1 and COM. Which wires do go into these holes, and where do I put the third wire...?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
dingbat said:
Did you want this switch to work as two-way? If so, you need a two-way dimmer.

Dingbat, it may be a looped live though ...

Lou, what colours are the cables in the switch?

If they are RED, YELLOW, BLUE then it is most likely two way

If they are two reds and a black, then it is one way

If they are two blacks and a red, then it is likely one way with two lights attached

Bear in mind that there will also be a green/yellow sleeved conductor in the cable, this will be the Earth connection, so if this is the third cable you speak of, it attaches to the back-box of the switch, if the dimmer switch is metal, a link must be made from the terminal in the box to the earth terminal on the switch faceplate.

FWL_Engineer said:
dingbat said:
Did you want this switch to work as two-way? If so, you need a two-way dimmer.

Dingbat, it may be a looped live though ...

But in that case the original switch would have been one-way (or two-way used as one way). From the information in the original question it sounded very much like the original switch had three terminals in use and the new one only two. As always in these cases more information is needed in order to help... I was hoping Lou123 would have come back with more to go on before I got into listing all the options.

;)

(Also, I have seen many two-ways wired in T + E plus a red single)

Sponsored Links
hello Dingbat and FWL
Thanks for your responses. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner with more info.
The original fitting was a one way dimmer and I am replacing with a new one way dimmer.
The cables in the switch are black, red and green/yellow. There is another green/yellow cable that is attached to the back of the casing that is in the wall.

So: I think from your emails that the black and red cables fit into the L1 and COM holes.

Please could you clarify for me where the two yellow/green cables should go?

Thanks again!

if the plate is metal it will have an earth terminal which you should connect the 2 green/yellow wires to

if the plate is plastic and has no earth terminal you should remove the shor green/yellow wire from the terminal in the box and connect the incomeing green/yellow wire stright to the box earth terminal

lou123

FWL Wrote

Bear in mind that there will also be a green/yellow sleeved conductor in the cable, this will be the Earth connection, so if this is the third cable you speak of, it attaches to the back-box of the switch, if the dimmer switch is metal, a link must be made from the terminal in the box to the earth terminal on the switch faceplate.

This is all the explanation you need

Thank you. I'll let you know how I got on. If you don't hear from me, you'll know that I didn't...

Secure

I thought FWL pointed out quite clearly the CPC situ and I highlighted his text in bold type not sure why you think my comment was unfair ?

Maybe a misunderstanding...

I thought the text of FW's you had highlighted in bold was unneccesary.If this is not the case, then apologies are forthcoming!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back