One for oilman - Whining Riello burner - Changing bearings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

A guy called me tonight looking his oil burner serviced. He said that it is making whining noises and could only tell me that it is a Riello burner. Im going round to see him on Monday night and would like to know what i should be looking for??

My guess would be some sort of failed bearing ?? If so what would it be and how difficult are these to replace (big assumption i know!!!!). How do you go about doing it?? What tools will i need?? I need to know this for the future anyway.

Would you change bearings etc on a normal service or is this above and beyond the call of duty?? Are the bearings burner specific??

Apologies again for the millions of questions but it is based on wanting to know everything and do a decent job!!!!

Thanks in advance

Grill

Sponsored Links
What exactly would be making the noise though. Is there bearings to change inside the pump or do you just change the whole unit?? I think the drive couple is plastic so surely this wouldn't be "whining"??

Grill

We carry the oil pump complete although you can (used to be able to) get
certain parts individually.

Are you competent to set up an oil burner?

If your in any doubt, leave well alone.
You can do more damage than good if the oil pump is not setup correcttly.

Sponsored Links
Hi Baxi,

Yeah i am competent to do and have the oil pump pressure test kit and FGA etc.

Just hadn't heard of changing parts of pumps before. I have only started out recently so im trying to get as much info as i can. Are there any bearings that need changed when servicing?? A friend of mine had his boiler serviced last year and the guy put in two new bearings. any idea what these would be??

What spares do you carry round from day to day or are there too many to list???

Thanks for your help so far

Grill

You'll spend more time trying to change the pump bearing that changing the pump. Not normal to change them on a service but check the oil tank for water in the bottom, if it get dragged into the pump it will cause the bearing to fail and start to squeal. There might be a red deposit between the bearing and the dog this is a sign of water, also it can get through to the bearing on the motor watch for that. Yes change the dog (drive shaft coupling) as the motor will be working harder to turn the pump therefore straining the coupling.

Cheers for that cozzmic,

Is there a specific pump for Riello or do all pumps fit all burners?? I have the manual upstairs so i guess it will tell me in there.

So if this one is sqealing as you say is it just a case of replace the pump and see does that stop the squealing (After checking for the red colour!!). If it doesnt then am i looking at the bearing on the motor?? How do i go about changing that??

Again would it be usual to carry motor bearings as spares??

Im trying to culid up a list of what i should have in my van when im out and about.

grill

It could also be the motor bearings so run the motor on its own ie disconnected from the pump.

Cheers gas guru,

Are the motor bearings hard to change and how do you go about??

Just went i thought i knew enough about oil burners it appears tehre is a lot more to learn. Loving it though!!!!!

Grill

grill said:
and have the oil pump pressure test kit and FGA etc.
Don't use your FGA in unless your smoke reading is zero.

grill said:
What spares do you carry round from day to day or are there too many to list???
We carry approx 1,300 different spares, about 1,800 items in total.

At the risk of getting shouted at is it not possible to set it up using your FGA with the specified readings instead of using the smoke reading????

Grill

P.S. I am a one man band and only starting off in teh business so it aint possible for me to carry that amount of spares. Is that just for oil work or gas work as well????

What are the fundamentals that i should be carrying for oil work??

Thanks again for passing on the knowledge

Grill

grill said:
At the risk of getting shouted at is it not possible to set it up using your FGA with the specified readings instead of using the smoke reading????

Grill

Only if you want to damage your FGA!

Smoke test with one and over means soot, not good for your FGA.

All I'm saying (having done it) is do a smoke test before sticking a £500 FGA in. If you didn't realise, I work for a manufacturer, can't say which one because that might be advertising!!!!

We only carry about 50 different spares for the Statesman/Riello boiler.

Ah it all becomes clear.

So your general man about town would only have a few spares and if he ain't got it then he ahs to go and get it!!!!!!

Could you reccommned a good smoke tester and where i can buy it online. It is the only bit of kit i have left to get really so i might as well bite the bullet!!!!

Thanks again for all your help. With the help of this forum and loads of head scratching ill get there in teh end!!!!!

Grill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back