Flushing toilet causes prolonged vibration / noise in pipes

the problem is often caused by a hairline crack in any of the ballcock water assembley inlet or deteriation in the rubber seals and as you flush the toilet it can suck air in and vibrate the pipes do not rip your floor up until you check this they are only £4 60 in b@q new

Sponsored Links
lewisv6,lagunaglen, and doitall

you do know this post is 2 and a bit years old!!!!!!!!!!!

I also have this problem, and it effects all 3 toilets in my home.

Do you really think that I need to replace all Valves?

I know this is an old thread, but i had the same thing and googled "toilet vibration when flushing" and this thread came to the top of the listings. So figured i would put the answer to how i fixed it for others to read.

My toilet would vibrate so hard when it was filling even the air freshener on the top would fall off and i thought it was the pipes behind the wall loose, as you could hear them banging as well.

I was about to call in a plumber, but after reading this i decided to take a look myself.

Our cistern, has a long arm with a float, the valve that turns the water on and off from the float has 2 threaded hand nuts on it which i took off, this gives access to the 2 washers, the diaphragm washer that the float arm pushed on and the seal washer that stops the water itself.

I bought this morning from plumb base one of each. The diaphragm cost 41p and the seal washer comes in a pack of 5 with the cone shape thing it fits on for £1.54 for the pack.

I noticed the bottom seal is slightly thinner on the new one, but for the price got them anyway.

I changed them both and it didn't vibrate, but the water wouldn't turn off it constantly dripped, so put the old bottom seal back in and it worked fine (stopped the water and the vibration), put the old diaphragm back in and it vibrated.

So now it has the old bottom seal in and the new diaphragm top seal and it works perfect, water turns on and off perfectly and there is no noise at all.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys its saved me about £40 for a plumber to come out and do the same job that cost me 41p :)
Ian

Sponsored Links
An old thread it maybe but here I am in july 2011 reading it and it seems a really helpful post - thnaks da8iwr (wherever you are now) for a thorough and helpful answer. Hope fully I can now flush my en-suite without concorde flying in thropugh the window and a massage earthquake happening along my street

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back