Outside wall light and pir security lights, what cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it acceptable to use 1.5mm t+E from the CU to the switch and what type cable should you use for the switch lines to an exterior wall mounted porch lantern and also wall mounted PIR security lights?

Sponsored Links
The cables would be 1.5mm. What type will depend on the environment, might be flex, or armoured or Hi-Tuf or singles run in conduit.

Tell us more and you may get more definate answer.

TTC

that's going on the asumption that the breaker is a 6A..

if it is a 10A then I would recomend not using anything less than 1.5mm²

off the top of my head.. 1mm² can take 11A but if it's run under any loft insulation etc then it needs to be de-rated..

for the price difference I would always use 1.5mm²

Sponsored Links
thanks,

the porch light will be controlled by a switch inside the building, the cable feeding the light will be ran through a hole in the masonry, and I imagine the pir security lights will be wired the same way unless it is decided to mount them on the underside of the soffet(?) in which case the cables will run through the loft and down through the eaves of the house

I found 1.5mm² 3 core flex hard to get into the small glands on B&Q floodlights (i know i know). Just a thought.

FledglingApprentice said:
sorry i meant which type of cable?
As I said, i used black flex mounted high on the outside wall, near the DNO cables, but other products are available with more protection, such as Hi-tuff, and arctic cable (though arctic is in gareish colours such as yellow and blue)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back