standard antifreeze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can some one please back me up!!.
I work on a large caravan park and last week the boss bought some standard glycol antifreeze (blue) you know the same stuff you use to put in toilet cisterns when draining a caravan down,
He is saying it is ok for this to be used in c/h systems but i disagree could some one please clarify this for me...........
cheers

Sponsored Links
if it doesnt say so on the packet then dont use it.

its not specifically made for it so why use it. tell him to stop being a tight-arse and get the right stuff.

Don't know how this would chemically react to copper of insides of boiler and rads. Suggest you call boiler manufacturers and ask.

As nickso says use proper ch anti freeze, only about £10 /bottle for good stuff, and would have thought 1 bottle per caravan would do.

lee1976 said:
Hi can some one please back me up!!.
I work on a large caravan park and last week the boss bought some standard glycol antifreeze (blue) you know the same stuff you use to put in toilet cisterns when draining a caravan down,
He is saying it is ok for this to be used in c/h systems but i disagree could some one please clarify this for me...........
cheers

Look on the hazard data on the packaging which should tell you what it contains. If it is ethylene glycol, it is very toxic, a teaspoon is a fatal dose, I believe. It should not be used in any CH systems with an indirect water heater (hot water cylinder or combi boilers) because of the risk of contamination of water that might be ingested. I know you probably don't drink your bath water, children do.

Propylene glycol is used in domestic systems, it is also used as an artificial sweetener, so sweet it would put your teeth on edge.

Both glycols will react with dissolved oxygen when hot and eventually degrade into acidic compounds that will attack the boiler. Don't use either if non-barrier plastic pipe has been used on the heating.

I'd fit frost stats and drain the systems out of season.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back