Removing pull cord light switches

pap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Have moved to a new property where there are pull cord switches in all of the bedrooms in addition to standard wall lights. My wife detests the pull switches so I embarked on removing them....

.... In the first bedroom I opened the pull cord switch which had three wires going into it which I connected together to isolate the pull switch. This worked fine and the ceiling light was controlled by the wall switch.

I repeated this in the other 4 rooms ....however in two of these rooms the light remains permanently on regardless of the positon of the wall switch (except when it is briefly in between on/off)

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Pap

Sponsored Links
joing all wires in a 2 wasy switch shuold produce the effect of permanent on

are you sure the pull cord In the first bedroom was still connected at all?

the most normal way of wiring up household 2 way switching is as follows

[code:1]
.------------------.
.------------. |
switch cable from light switch----------switch
'------------' |
'------------------'
[/code:1]

with this setup when both siwtches are set the same the light is off when they are set different the light is on

removal options

1: terminate 3 and earth in a junction box (chock block must only be used in enclosures) you need to find out which wire goes to the common terminal on the wall switch and joine this to one of the other wires

2: remove cable to pullswitch completely and wire switch as one way this is the best soloution but may be hard to achive

In a 3 core & earth, it is usually the red which is common, and blue and yellow which are strappers. Make sure you connect the red to one of the strappers such that when the light is off, the plate switch is in the up position.

Make sure the yellow & blue cores have a red marker.

terminal blocks can be used in preference to a junction box, provided they are enclosed. A "Choc-box" can be used for this purpose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back