Citroen Xsara 16V 1.8 VTR Vreg 1999

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all im new here but wondered if ne of you could help

recently brought the above car 2nd hand from a dealer for £1400

got the car home and it drives nice really pleased with it little sporty yet not too much ill kill my self at the next bend

after a bout a week the car started playing up

i start breaking for a junction, put the clutch down and the car stalls!!
even when im going 60mph and i go to change gear the car can stall when the clutch is down...

this prob only happens once a week and if i swtich the car off and leave it for a while it will be fine again

also i can get in the car and the rev will stay around 3-4000 even with foot off accelator!! (can be quite embarrassing at traffic lights)

ne ideas why this car would do this??

i took the car back to the dealer who said he would have a look he had the car for a week and the problem never came up so he thought i was taking the **** and looking to get my money back!! but i love the car just this small problem sucks!

Sponsored Links
Is it the act of pushing clutch in that stops the engine, or the braking itself?

Is there something electric loose in engine bay that is moving under braking? Plug leads etc, perhaps something shorting out?

Could be a fuel issue, but I would expect that to happen all the time.

James

Coolant temp sensor could cause the high revs, and possibly the stalling if it's over/underfuelling the car.

Cheap and easy fix........ if it is that!

Sponsored Links
ne online manuals to fit any of these parts?

would notmally take it to a garage but i thought i might try fix this my self

it is the act of putting the clutch down that causes it to stall

what exactly does the coolant temp sensor do then?

what does the idle stepper motor do?

The idle stepper motor controls the idle speed of the engine, when the engine is under load and you are driving the air bypass is closed, when you dip the clutch (assuming at the same time you release the throttle) the stepper motor should come into play and take control of the engine speed, if its faulty or getting abit gummed up then when you dip the clutch and release the acc pedal it wont control the idle and the engine will be starved of air and stall.

ok cool sounds like that could be hte problem

where bouts would i find it in the engine? is it easy to remove and clean/replace

Back