new taps, no cold running water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I recently replaced my bathroom taps both bath and wash basin, to do this I simply turned off water at mains and allowed the hot and cold taps around the house to stop flowing...upon changing the taps in the bathroom the hot works fine on the bath but the cold is just dribbling, hardly anything at all.....any suggestions? how can I stop this from happening in future?cheers

Sponsored Links
It's pretty likely that you have an air lock. The alternative is that in draining the cold storage cistern (if that's what you did), that some debris is blocking the cold tap. If it were me, since I have a wet vac, I'd suck on the cold tap spout to encourage the water to flow.

Is it only the one cold tap that's troublesome?

Softus said:
It's pretty likely that you have an air lock. The alternative is that in draining the cold storage cistern (if that's what you did), that some debris is blocking the cold tap. If it were me, since I have a wet vac, I'd suck on the cold tap spout to encourage the water to flow.

Is it only the one cold tap that's troublesome?

yes, only the one tap causing problem...unfortunately the bath tap is of the mock victorian type...the one that has the shower attachment like a phone on top! so the tap is very wide.
I have taken the cold tap valve out and the water dribbles out ...any suggestions on how I can get round this?
Ps, I have done this before on a few occasions ie allowing the taps to run dry prior to fitting new ones and the same happened then....you think I would learn??? how can I get round this problem in the future when changing taps....it would be so much easier if iso valves were fitted to all bath and basin taps!

gibs said:
yes, only the one tap causing problem...unfortunately the bath tap is of the mock victorian type...the one that has the shower attachment like a phone on top! so the tap is very wide.
Not sure what you mean by wide, but the fact that it's a bath filler is going to be to your distinct advantage, assuming that you can cover the outlet/spout with your palm.

So, cover the spout, open the hot tap first, then the cold tap. Wait about 30 seconds, then close the hot tap, then abruptly remove your hand.

The purpose of this is to use the hot water to 'backfill' the cold supply, then to release it so that the water that just filled the pipe rushes out, drawing behind the air that's causing you the problem.

If it doesn't work first time, don't be despondent - it often takes 2 or times to get things flowing properly.

how can I get round this problem in the future when changing taps.
Fit isolating valves the next time that the pipes are empty.

it would be so much easier if iso valves were fitted to all bath and basin taps!
Hm.

Sponsored Links
If softus solution doesn't work, have you got a seperate cold storage tank in loft for bath cold supply and has this ball valve stuck up?

Has cold gate valve been opened correctly? They can seem/feel as though they have opened but are actually stuck shut or nearly shut by being broken internally.

Softus said:
gibs said:
Not sure what you mean by wide, but the fact that it's a bath filler is going to be to your distinct advantage, assuming that you can cover the outlet/spout with your palm.

So, cover the spout, open the hot tap first, then the cold tap. Wait about 30 seconds, then close the hot tap, then abruptly remove your hand.

The purpose of this is to use the hot water to 'backfill' the cold supply, then to release it so that the water that just filled the pipe rushes out, drawing behind the air that's causing you the problem.

If it doesn't work first time, don't be despondent - it often takes 2 or times to get things flowing properly.

how can I get round this problem in the future when changing taps.
Fit isolating valves the next time that the pipes are empty.

it would be so much easier if iso valves were fitted to all bath and basin taps!

Softus...you are the man!!!! just did as you suggested and it worked first time......knowledge is power, I bow to your wisdom,cheers
Hm.

All credit to the forum - if I hadn't told you then someone else would. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back