Single to double oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to buy a double oven to replace our existing single oven. I've read a lot of the comments on here regarding electrical loads etc and was hoping someone could double check my setup - apologies if any of the following are not the correct terms!

We have a seperate 'Cooker' circuit breaker in our consumer unit, this seems to be rated at 32A.

We have a fused cooker isolation switch by our oven with a 13A fuse.

Is it OK to connect the new cooker to the existing 13A fused switch? Do I need to put a bigger fuse in this switch? Do I need to do some more drastic electrical work?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
what rating is the double oven? is there anything else on this circuit?

A single oven will often run on a 13A fuse, but a double oven usually needs about 20A, so will not run on your 13A supply.

You do not mention the hob. Do you have a gas hob? Electric hobs usually take in the region of 20Amps.

An electric cooker with electric oven and electric hob usually takes about 30Amps. A Dual Fuel cooker with a gas hob and an electric oven usually takes about 13Amps. BTW the Dual Fuel gives the best cooking results. Big range cookers with lots of rings and/or lots of oven take more.

If you can put up a photo of your existing Cooker switch(es) that will help identify what you have. Also, please turn off the 32A "Cooker" MCB and check what appliances stop working.

You need to look up the power ratings of the ovens you have in mind, and your existing or future hob, if electric. Let us know how many amps (or watts) they each are and we can advise further.

edited: Bah - too slow in my pursuit of quality :LOL:

double ovens tend to be over 13A so are unsuitable for connection to a socket or fused spur.

cooker switches don't tend to be fused since you'll find it impossible to get a 40A plug fuse. :rolleyes:

if it's a fused spur then I doubt it will be on the 32A breaker since it should ONLY be connected to a cooker / hob..

if it IS on the 32A breaker then the cable size should be 6mm² cable.
you would need to remove the 13A fused spur and replace it with a suitably sized switch, in this case at least 45A..

then you can connect your double oven to that via a cooker outlet to replace whatever the existing oven is connected to..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback.

For further info, we have a gas hob and I've not decided on a particular oven yet but it will definitely be a double oven to replace the existing single oven. Seems like around 4kW is a reasonable guess?

There doesn't appear to be anything else on the circuit, even the light in the hood and ignition are running from somewhere else as they still work when I turn off the main 32A Cooker MCB.

Thanks again for everyone's help.[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back