noisy central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a potterton suprima boiler which is located in the airing cuboard,when the full system is on we can hear the water flowing round,when the rads are off we can hear the water running in the airing cuboard only louder.is it air? should there be some sort of automatic vent in the airing cuboard? can,t see one

Sponsored Links
First of all go into your loft and locate the small ch expansion tank. Look inside to see if there is water in it. If not wiggle ball valve to let water in to fill it up. Then fill system and bleed all rads and hw circuit.

If full it would point to a blockage in the cold fill pipe. This would be where it joins the heating system.

To prove this turn off gate vale in fill pipe, undo bottom connection, place bucket under it and open gate vale. If water pours out then blockage is as above. This needs to be cut out and replaced. Possibly heating system will need flushing afterwards and new inhibitor added.

maybe be a PCB fault Gas

sending 240 to pump permanantly?

Have you had one of their new fancy pants PCBS?

Agree with you corgiman about pcb, but I was thinking running sound of water could be not enough water in system pointing to blockage or exp tank empty. Had plenty of pcb's on these either telling pump to run continuously or not at all ;)

No I haven't fitted their nes pcb assembly. Still got stock of just pcb luckily :!:

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
Agree with you corgiman about pcb, but I was thinking running sound of water could be not enough water in system pointing to blockage or exp tank empty. Had plenty of pcb's on these either telling pump to run continuously or not at all ;)

No I haven't fitted their nes pcb assembly. Still got stock of just pcb luckily :!:

OOOHHHH you lucky sod

mind you that aint that hard to change really

but so far I have had to replace about five of the new ones and no the gas valve wasnt open circuit but a healthy 4K ohms on everyone

blooming baxi potterton :LOL:

hi dave thanks for the info . i,m a chippy and not to clever with plumbing speak, is the cold pipe you mention the one that goes from exp tank to the boiler

It will probably be the 15mm from the bottom of the exp tank, could go to boiler, but often joins pipe work in airing cupboard. It WILL NOT be the 22mm one that loops over the exp tank ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back