Tongue & Groove in the Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have recently put tongue and groove boards in the bathroom and have painted them with primer and waterproof paint. But once the paint dries the grooves of the wood split causing the paint to crack.
I have put decorators caulk in the grooves but the paint is still cracking.
Can anyone suggest something i can use that will allow the wood to move but will not cause the paint to crack?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
wait untill the mid summer when the wood is fully shrunk and paint with 2 or three thin coats avoiding any paint pooling

Ideally you should have stored the wood in the house for a few weeks to allow it to aclimatise then primed the BACK as well as the front and then painted at least one coat of the finish colour on the front before fixing. Thats how I did this one though there are signs of movement in one or two joints

Doing it this way will reduce the risk of cracking and bare wood showing if the baords shrink but natural wood will move no matter what you do, thats whem the grooved MDF is handy.

Jason

I think the grooved MDF is great, I'm sorry I didn't discover it earlier.
I've made a couple panel doors with it and I'm going to make some more.
It's really expensive, though!

Sponsored Links
If you don't want the bead then its easy to route your own with a straight edge and "V" bit.

Jason

Indeed, but I bought the "bead and but", and I don't think you could reproduce the profile with a plunge router - not without 3 passes and a cutter change. Next time I'll know better!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back