fire place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a fireplace that I'd like to install, basically there used to be a fireplace in our dining room which has now been boarded up with plasterboard. We don't plan on using it as a fire, just for aethetics so were not planning on having the chimney relined or anything. The fireplace is cast iron, and I have bought a cast iron hearth. Can anyone help me with how to install it? Do I just cement the hearth in place? Also as it will be fixed to a plasterboard lined exterior wall (old vicotiran house so stone is quite a distance from plasterboard lining), what can I fix it with and will I need to put extra supports in behind the wall?

Bit of a ramble, sorry but any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It's hard to understand what you want to do, hence the lack of replies. All I would say is that if you don't plan to use the fire, you can achieve good results with "no more nails" or similar or silicon sealant used as a glue. This at least has the merit of being easy to undo at a later date.

Hmmm...Are you sure you do not want to go all the way and install it properly? Just thinking as when it comes to sell your house, you will have to tell prospective buyers that it can not be used, and this (although minor issue) may well put them off... I know working solid fuel fireplaces are back in fashion now, so have a good think....

I installed my own Cast Iron fireplace, after knocking out a great old cotswold stone sacraficial alter. Basically, got the size of the hole right, bricked up what wasn't needed, and chisled out what was, put a new lintel in to support the bricks above the hole, then backfilled the space behind the where the fire place sits that was not needed. I put a slate hearth in, laid on a good bed of mortar, let this cure for 48 hrs, then dropped the fireplace into position. It didnt have any screw lugs to secure to the wall, so I mixed some mortar and spread around to adhere the fireplace to the wall - as a second fix, I secured the surround tight to the chimney brest which also then acted as restraint for the fire place.

Done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back