Dishwasher Waste problem - not enough connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have never done any plumbing before and have just bought a dishwasher thinking it would be easy to plumb in.

I dont think the supply will be a problem as i think a T will do the trick.

However, looking at the waste pipe connections above the P trap in my sink, there are 2 allready. The first is from the washing machine and the second is the overflow from the sink itself.

What is the best way to plumb in the waste from the dishwasher? Can i get a trap with 3 (spigots??) bits to connect a waste pipe to?

or should i make the sink overflow a junction...or ?

Any advice much appreciated.

Bilabong

Edit: Still not sure if this is the right forum... the plumbing "read before you post" says it should be here but..... sorry admin if its in the worng place.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The one that is currently fitted looks like the one you recommened. The one i have has two hose attachments, and both are used.

Can you ge them with more than 2?

Many Thanks

Bilabong

If the waste pipe runs horizontally near the floor before exiting the kitchen, you can use a stand-pipe and bend arrangement, which to my mind is better, as it does not allow dirty sink water to flow into the washing machine under adverse conditions, and might be less prone to leaks and blockages.

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

The waste pipe runs horizontally out of the kithen about 1 and a half foot off the floor. There is only about 1ft of clearance between the worktop and the waste pipe. is that enough to work with?

The plumbing in my house looks a bit ropey... i just noticed that the sink drain pipe has been silicone sealed into the drain.

How high does a stand pipe need to be above the drain? (i will go and try and read up on this)

Bila

For clarity, i have tried to include a pic of the current layout

clf-gas said:
A wash machine trap John.

Ah... the correct name!

Have you got a pic?

Would it be a good solution?

Hi,

I found two possibles for the problem:

The first one looks very similar to what i allready have but has only one hose attached:

p2036022_l.jpg

The other one looks like what i thought a stand pipe arrangement should look like. One prob though, its 600mm high and i have only about 200mm from waste pipe to the bottom of the worktop.

p1081994_l.jpg

Which one would you think is the best to deal with 3 waste pipes? (washing machine, dishwasher and sink overflow) or should i add the stand pipe for the dishwasher only?... im a bit confused so any advice or help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Bilabong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back