Coloured grout for shower tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to get coloured water repelent grout?

I want to use a greyish grout on the tiles inside my D-shaped shower enclosure. Or is my only choice white?

Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
You can get grey grout no problem. But it's not water REPELLENT - it's either refered to as WATERPROOF or WATER RESISTANT. Basically it just means that it remains stable when wet. i.e. doesn't turn to mush.
Your can get grout that is water REPELLENT but they are epoxy and are not to be entertained under normal circumstances cause they're a bug ger to use.

Thanks for that gcol.

So for the inside of a shower I want to be looking for waterproof grout?

Is there a special adhesive for use inside showers or is it all the same?

Sometimes it's referred to as WATERPROOF and sometimes WATER RESISTANT. Just look for a grey powdered grout that's suitable for showers. What's important to note is that it won't stop water soaking through it if it's subjected to a lot of water, and so to be on the safe side, you should ideally tank the walls to prevent water damage.
Have a read of the sticky post at the top of the floor tiling section - it's got plenty of information on what you want to do.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, will do :D

So you can't actually get a grout which will keep out water? Just a little concerned about that as I want to tile inside a shower cubicle so water will be verywhere :eek:

amandaclegg said:
So you can't actually get a grout which will keep out water? Just a little concerned about that as I want to tile inside a shower cubicle so water will be verywhere :eek:
As I said, epoxy grouts are waterproof. Ordinary grout (that everyone uses) for showers is just water RESISTANT. Believe me, don't bother with epoxy, just use an ordinary grey powdered grout that's suitable for showers. Although water resistant grout will let water soak through it, we are talking about extremes here. The shower would have to be used an excessive amount for water to soak fully through the grout and adhesive to get to the wall. Generally speaking, people don't have problems. If your tiles are already fitted then just use water resistant grout. If not, then tank the walls before tiling and grout with water resistant grout. This is for peace of mind.

Thanks for the reassurance gcol. I can't get away with not tanking, I realise that now :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back