Plastic or Copper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Live in a house that has been "modified" over the years and am discovering the water system. There are amongst the copper pipes a few plastic ones. I am in the process of planning a few alterations and would appreciate any information regarding the "rules" regarding plastic versus copper. Any useful tips and Do's and Do not's would be most welcome.
:)

Sponsored Links
Plastic must not be used within 1m of a boiler. Plastic must not be used for gas.

A mixture of plastic and copper is ok but the electrical continuity of the earth on the copper will be broken :rolleyes:

gas4you said:
but the electrical continuity of the earth on the copper will be broken :rolleyes:
which is more of a good thing than a bad thing as it stops voltages been brought in from elsewhere! (as we dont use the copper pipes as an earth themselves because its not the 50's anymore)

with plastic use a good brand of connectors and cut the pipes with a proper cutter.

Sponsored Links
When did you hear of a Plastic shortage :?: :LOL: (copper..late 70`s )

Didn't realise I had opened one of these and that it was a subject for controversy. However in principle from the replies it appears that it has it merits providing the rules are obeyed.

I assume plastic is suitable for hot and cold.

Many thanks for the comments so far. Will take note regarding the connectors. Who, manufactures the best?...Obviously this will be a "personal" opinion.

ummm just my two cents but plastic is manufactured from oil is it not? so at some point in the future there will be a plastic shortage! unless ofcourse it's replaced by a fully synthetic material...?

and if oil run's low then i think you'd be more worried about what's going to heat the water in the pipe's than the pipes themselves.

IN MY OPINION:

For people with limited soldering skills plastic is an ideal way of doing it yourself providing you have the knowledge to do the job in the first place. (not saying everyone who uses's it can't solder) :LOL:

I don't like the look of the bulky plastic fitting's or the way you can't run it as neatly for surface pipework say rigid copper. Underfloor, no issues.

Rat's can knaw through plastic, where as copper as far as i'm aware, they cannot (unless they had a pack of steriod's the night before)

Depending what kind of heating system you have, you may need 'barrier' plastic pipe for central heating system's as the non barrier stuff can pull in air through it's wall and cause problem's.

Hep2o is commonly available and as 'softus' pointed out to me the other day, now comes with a 50 year guarantee.

Either or, both acceptable way's

HTH Sam
(prepare's for some kind of comeback off the above comments) :oops:

Do we all really think Hep will pay out on day 364 year 49 if a fault develops :LOL:

Do you think you'll have the reciept still to show proof of purchase? :LOL:

I know i'm not that organised! :oops:

I like the look of Polypipes new multilayered pipe.
Aluminimum core with inner and outer layers of cross linked polythylene.
Just dont know the sizes yet :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back