new boiler and current heating issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my decrepid old boiler, i need to get a condenser so a combi condence seems the best option - i can pick a decent one up for about a grand.

I called out a corgi bloke to look at installing it, and i've been advised under no certain terms I can use it with my current system, his reasoning behind this being :- i'm currently running at somewhere like 0.3bar and a new boiler will run between 1-2bar therfore the current 8mm microbore throught the house will not be able to withstand the pressure - with there being a possibility of the rad's leaking and creaking etc.

this means i'll have to rip up the flooring upstairs, rip off all my new skirting etc just to get access to the pipes.

he has quoted me with just 1 radiator, boiler, pipes and fitting, (providing i rip everything up and have it readily exposed for him to do the job)

price - approx £4000

I can get the boiler and a couple hundred meters of that plastic pipe stuff for about 1200 - 1300. Is he justified in quoting such high figures.

moreso - my current heating, although the boilers needing replacing, all works really well - i have no blockages, cold spots etc.

Instead of babbling on what i'm really asking, can i just put a condencer combi onto my current system without much needing changing (maybe connectors/thermo valves etc - system flush etc)

Am i getting fleeced?? :eek:

thankyou for reading

Sponsored Links
But in all seriousness,

if the job isn't worth that to you do the pipework and rads yourself, take responisbility for it. ask him to fit new boiler.

After all if the pipework is so cheap, how come it's such an expensive job? Surely it's just a matter of pushing a few bits of plastic together?

Sponsored Links
the current 8mm microbore throught the house will not be able to withstand the pressure

B0110X :rolleyes:
get another plumber.

What chris means is the guy is making work up for himself although 8mm is not ideal it will take the pressure easily only thing that would need changing is if the rads have twin entry valves these would need changing to valves on either side of rad one of which would be thermostatic

thankyou for your feedback on this one - i did some searches on the internet and from what i can see 8mm will be OK - i've been told that if it worked well on the old system it will work well with a new boiler.

I've got a few people coming out later in the week - i'll keep you posted.

There are two issues, the flow through the 8 mm and the increeased pressure.

If it works OK now it will work Ok with a new boiler but the manufacturer may have issues regarding the warrantee. ( See posting here a few weeks ago ).

The increased pressure ( 1.5 Bar ) might burst the rads if they are old as seems to be the case. Thats a risk YOU will have to take.

I would never install a system with plastic piping but thats your choice!

tony

Agile

Although I generally agree with your sentiments on plastic pipe the newer houses with predrilled prefabricated joists aren't really compatible with anything else. You can't notch them so some sort of flexible pipe is the only solution.

Is this progress, though?

Regarding the MBore question, you could well fit a new boiler to the pipe. As far as the thermo valves are concerned, give your installer a written note to the effect that you don't want them as you or someone else in the household are partially sighted.

We do not like fitting boilers to MB purely because it cannot be cleaned like standard systems.

well i've had british gas out to have a look at what needs to be done - they have advised against a combi condenser and advised to go for a normal tank fed condenser boiler.

I have been told that the 8mm microbore is ok, as are the rad's and will not need changing, although they do recommend to get the system powerflushed - thats if they do the work or not, as i wont be able to get the work commissioned or the warranty on the boiler will become void without it. (incase crap in system causes boiler fault)

they have quoted - for the boiler, installation, powerflush, controls, some kind of earth for the gas n elec meters + cold water stop cock, 1yr cover etc for £3100.

although when you look at it 3100 for a boiler and controls seems a little excessive, i have the assurances of comeback if something breaks plus they can commission there own work.

I am leaning toward going with british gas. would anyone be able to advise whether or not its too much of a risk sourcing the materials myself, and having an independent corgi bloke (or woman) fit the boiler???

jasperpie said:
well i've had british gas out to have a look at what needs to be done - they have advised against a combi condenser and advised to go for a normal tank fed condenser boiler.

I have been told that the 8mm microbore is ok, as are the rad's and will not need changing, although they do recommend to get the system powerflushed - thats if they do the work or not, as i wont be able to get the work commissioned or the warranty on the boiler will become void without it. (incase rubbish in system causes boiler fault)

they have quoted - for the boiler, installation, powerflush, controls, some kind of earth for the gas n elec meters + cold water stop cock, 1yr cover etc for £3100.

although when you look at it 3100 for a boiler and controls seems a little excessive, i have the assurances of comeback if something breaks plus they can commission there own work.

I am leaning toward going with british gas. would anyone be able to advise whether or not its too much of a risk sourcing the materials myself, and having an independent corgi bloke (or woman) fit the boiler???

get recommendations and get them in to quote you

:)

Fit the combi if it meets your heating and hot water requirements.

change the rads if they are really old . or at least change the valves for new decent brand TRV's and lockshields.

Put cleanser in the system a couple of weeks before doing the job and then flush it through a couple of times and you should be fine

jasperpie said:

Why do you immagine that any other independent installer cannot commission their own work ???

Tony

The BG advice makes more sense than your first plumber, but a combi would be OK if the hot water flow rate was acceptable to you. Very rare for radiators to burst (I've never known it to happen) so don't worry about using your existing system. In fact a condensing boiler will operate with a larger temperature drop between flow and return (normally 20°C rather than 11°C) so the 8mm tubes will work even better than before!

BG are usually substantially more expensive than an independent installer, so do carry on getting estimates. £3k sounds like a lot, but it does depend on the particular circumstances of your set up which we aren't aware of.

Although I nromally advise water cylinder to combi I have to say that the present range of band a boilers from most manufacturers say 32kw upwards have amaisingly good hot water performance. A few that I have tested either because i have installed them or repaired new installs, are producing better hot water performance by a fair margine than the published spec.

The 32kw Vokera Unica (which I think is pretty good value for money) I fitted Friday for example has plenty of flow for people with one tap demand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back