Worried about weeping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need some reassurance please.

I have just had a plumber in from British Gas to fix a leak in a copper pipe under the floorboards carrying cold mains water.

He cut out the section that was leaking and put in some new copper pipe with two joiner connectors (sorry don't know correct name).

However, one of these joiners at one end is weeping ever so slightly, but it is weeping all the same. I do not want to put down the floorboards until I am 110% confident that the join will hold. I have tried to tighten the valve but it is fully locked.

What should I do? I am VERY worried indeed.

Second problem is that the copper pipe is higher than it originally was and I am worried that pushing the pipes downward to allow the floorboards to go on top may cause damage.

PLEASE advise! Many thanks!

James

Sponsored Links
If they are compression types then it may just need nipping up, although it is not your responsibilty so best call them back and replace the floor board while they are there so you know it will fit.

Its very unlikely to just pop off although i cant see how they can contest if you called out an emergency plumber of they dont offer that service.

Just as well you had called British Gas rather than some local independent who is worried by his reputation and willing to come out now at 2323hrs.

British Gas will send someone else when they feel like it perhaps tomorrow or the next day.

They probably have a 24 hour telephone answering service so why dont you call them now and ask what they are going to do about it.

See when they will send someone to sort it out and tell us?

If they lifted the floorboard then surely they will refit it???

Tony

Turn the water off overnight and leave it off if your out in the day. Better to be safe than sorry! Call them back as a matter of urgency tellling them that you have no water. Insist they effect a proper repair expressing your concerns about the floorboards. :D

Sponsored Links
It's important that the pipes/joiners etc don't touch the floorboards. Damage is a possibility, but noise is very likely indeed!

Thanks guys for all your quick responses!

I can not turn the water off because I live in a flat and the actual pipe serves another flat!?! I have a stop-valve on my water meter that stops all the water coming from my taps.

The British Gas man did not realise this and we were bailing the water out for 30 minutes before I suggested that we should try and turn the water off at the mains outside!

In addition they said it was my responsiblility to take the carpet up and get access to the floorboards!?

I will call them tomorrow as I have to arrange for someone to be in the flat because I can not afford to take anymore time off work (already taken two days) as the first day was a write off when the plumber came at 19:00 and said he would send another today!

Jimbo30 said:
I will call them tomorrow as I have to arrange for someone to be in the flat because I can not afford to take anymore time off work (already taken two days) as the first day was a write off when the plumber came at 19:00 and said he would send another today!

I thought BG offered a quick and efficient service with their 5000+ staff?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back