electrical testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been informed that there is \\\"an open loop on the ring main\\\" in our old house that we just sold. What does this mean please? We are responsible for all defects for one week see.
Thanks
chrisbagsy

Sponsored Links
sounds like a break in one or more of the ring conductors, i.e. the ring continuity test fails.

A visual check of the connections to each socket may reveal a disconnected/loose/broken connection. Failing that, it's then quite easy to locate which section the break is in and then it's down to physical inspection of the cable to find the break (though you can also use resistance measurements to help estimate how far along the cable it is - or a TDR will tell you exactly, if you are lucky enough to have access to one).

sockets are wired up like this a single break means the sockets still work but the current only flows one way round the ring so it is possible to overheat it.

to fix it it should just be a case of popping off the socket front and tightening all the screws (after turning the electrics off obviously), but if the house has hidden junction boxes under the floor or cables under the floor have been chewed by rats than it can be harder to find, but you can get a fairly good idea of where it is even with a cheap meter measuring between sockets to find the one with the break.

who has reported the problem? have they had some electrical testing done? surely its normal practice that such testing is done before the sale goes through? -double check with your solicitors (or have you moved out and it is in process of going through)

OP is in Scotland different set of laws on house sale/purchase.

However one get out could be to say buyer must have changed a socket

Sponsored Links
The sale of the house is complete, the purchaser has 7 days to report any problems that we the vendor will be responsible for. I don't take issue with the fact that they have had the electrics tested as they bought the house as a buy to let and would be required to provide a safe to use certificate anyway. Alas for me to get access to the house now would be more hassle than it is worth, so I will get the purchaser to instruct their own electrician to rectify the fault and "bite the bullet" so to speak. Thank you for your very useful feedback though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back