Un-coiled power cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heard it being mentioned a few times that you should always fully uncoil power extension cables before using them.

Thought this was some sort of 'old sparks tale' until I saw a notice printed on a new, 50m reel from B&Q telling me to do just this! :confused:

Is it true? If so, why and what's supposed to happens if you dont? I've never uncoiled cables fully before useing them to no ill effects....

.... unless.... I'm actually already dead..... WOOOOO! *makes ghosty noise and runs off to womens shower room* :LOL:

Sponsored Links
the real reason is that the coiled cable will overheat in use. This is because the heat loss is prevented. Think of it as 20 or 30 cables bunched tightly together (or however many turns there are on the reel) and each carrying whatever the current is (bunched cables have to be de-rated for current carrying capacity as they accumulate heat and prevent its escape).

Sometimes people think it is because of induction currents, but since the cable contains both phase conductors tight together within the same sheath, these will cancel each other out.

BTW, in the Electricity Distribution trade, you are not allowed to leave those big wooden reels of supply cable under or near transmission lines... apparently they really can pick up quite big induced voltages.

Running at full load or overload, the cables are tightly bunched in a coil, and the heat created by full load or overload has nowhere to go, thus melting the cables. Or the cable could be damaged internally, but no visible signs, even more dangerous IMO.

I'm sure Rob has a photo.

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
I'm sure Rob has a photo.

I dont actually, but the builder I was working with last week melted his extention by running a tumble dryer off his still coiled extention. it all melted into one solid mess :LOL:

I'm sure i have seen a photo of a melted extension coil, i just assumed it was you Rob! :LOL:

Do you want me to go and melt one just for the picture? :LOL:

(I am not going to)

JohnD said:
Sometimes people think it is because of induction currents, but since the cable contains both phase conductors tight together within the same sheath, these will cancel each other out.

Both live conductors John ;)

I was absent-mindedly thinking of steel enclosures for 3-ph where you have to lead them all through the same hole or duct :oops:

some manufacturers give you a seperate maximum current for thier reels when fully wound. IIRC its usually about half the unwound max current. Strangely i've seen some which give a figure for fully wound and then tell you to unwind fully before use -- weired.

most of those reels can take 13A when fully unwound (and many of them are 1.5mm rather than 1.25mm making the rating of the actual flex 15A) and most handheld tools are only a few amps and then only intermittantly. so its rarely a problem in practice unless you start using stuff like heaters, big kitchen appliances, welders etc but with the long reels of 1.25mm or 1.5mm the diy sheds sell you are likely to run into volt drop issues anyway if you draw the full 13A.

BTW, in the Electricity Distribution trade, you are not allowed to leave those big wooden reels of supply cable under or near transmission lines... apparently they really can pick up quite big induced voltages.

proven as a falasy in an episode of mythbusters..

they were trying to get free electricity by making a large coil of wire on plastic pipes as a former and then hoisting it up under some HV power lines..

they didn't register anything more than you get from radio signals...

mythbusters is way too unsientific to prove anything.

what current was flowing in the line? its mainly current that matters when doing this not voltage, just because a line is high voltage doesn't nessacerally mean its also carrying a high current.

How close were the conductors on different phases to each other and to the coil?

how close was the coil to the line?

how was the coil orientated? the magnetic flux goes in a circle purpendicular to the lines. Therefore a coil that is also perpendicular to the lines will link almost no flux.

how large was the hole in the coil?

how many turns did the coil have?

If they didn't give all of this information then thier test is pretty meaningless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back