Electricity meter concerns.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This installation looks to be unsafe. It is there to provide a supply to an unused shop the owner of which seems pretty unconcerned as to any problems ti might constitute. As not being conversant with the prevailing leccy legislation I wonder if anybody could give me some advice as to what the technical deficiencies are. For instance I have been told that the power breaker supplies the socket circuit and the lighting circuit, the latter of which has 16 spotlights connected to it (unsure as to whether these would be low voltage).

Thanks for any help.

EMwithpowerbreaker.jpg

Electricitymeter.jpg

Sponsored Links
What exactly can we tell from that that?

Seems to be a 6amp lighting circuit - good for around 1300watts - Two or more circuits would be better, but not a critical, and certainly not unsafe.

There is also a 20amp circuit for sockets - again, this seems fine witout seeing what sort of loading is plugged in.

The wiring looks a mess, but as to deviations?? You tell us what you don't like.........

A little more info, like the wattage of lamps, appliances plugged in, size of shop, details on main bonding etc etc.

The "power breaker" is a 2-way wylex standard board with MCBs fitted. Power breaker is a brand name, associated with plug in RCDs. This aint an RCD.

Is this your property or what?

I notice the pictures are numbered with marker pen, so this is not just a photo of a mains intake.

Is this a college assignment or something?

Sponsored Links
I see the picture is in an album owned by someone called "buttocks_00" :LOL:

Sorry guys, let me fill in a few more details. The shop is owned by the freeholder of the building which includes a flat which is occupied by a family. There has been a pretty acrimonious dispute which relates to the buildings insurance cover for which the freeholder is responsible. A prerequisite of this insurance is an electrical warranty that has supposedly been provided by a qualified electrician. If the installation looks to be acceptable (from what can be seen) then it is probably reasonable to assume that this has been carried out. The family, however, suspect otherwise, believing there to be no insurance cover in place and that the nature of the disused shop may constitute a fire risk. I fully agree that the two photographs do not provide much meat on which to chew; I am unable to show photographs of the earth bonding as this area is within that of the shop and not currently accessible. The family have other photographs relating to what they perceive to be the freeholders breaches but I do not think this concerns the electrics.

I hope this post did not come across as furtive in its nature. By the way all I am there to do is to replace a length of lead pipe water supply with copper. Thanks for your help. ;)

the only way to be certain is to get an independant electrician in themselves and have it tested..

if the freeholder refuses access then seek legal advice..

have they asked for copies of the buildings insurance?

ColJack said:
the only way to be certain is to get an independant electrician in themselves and have it tested..

That is the next step though access to the shop itself would normally be at the freeholder's discression.

ColJack said:
have they asked for copies of the buildings insurance?

They certainly have but in the main a copy of the policy schedule has not been forthcoming. Obtaining confirmation of cover from the insurance company can be very difficult if not the insuring party.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back