Two way conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello group, I'm installing a low wattage external bulkhead light to my Mothers home. I am looking at replacing the current double switch in the hallway which controls the hallway light and a two way landing light. This switch is situated right opposite to the new external light so is in an ideal location. What I want to know is, can I fit a new three switch wall plate, to replace the existing functions and add the new external light function. I'd imagine the wiring will be a nightmare but any help would really be appreciated.
Regards
Otto, in overcast Whitehaven Cumbria

Sponsored Links
in short no...

in long.. yes but it will require gaining access to the nearest light and pulling extra cables down to the switch...

you need a neutral and earth from the light that the switch is currently controling and a switched live back up from the switch..

some will tell you that an outside light requires a double pole switch..

if this is the case then you need to get a permanent live and a neutral down to and back up from the light switch as well as their earths.. ( 2 x 1.5 T+E.. )

Why will some say that you require a double pole switch? What nonsence!

A neutral will indeed be required, which is *usually* not present at the switch - however, on some it is. You would need to look to see. Chanced are it's not.

Can you get a cable to the switch easily? I assume so if you are running from the switch to light? Is this a bungalow? Is the switch backing onto a cupboard, garage etc etc?

Thanks guys, the light is situated external, downstairs outside the front door of a semi, I'd assume I'd have to lift the flooring upstairs to gain access to the ceiling rose. I thought it was going to be a bank holiday quickie, looks as though it could take a little time. I was under the impression that I could spur the external switch from a live feed from one of the adjacent 2 gangs. I give it an initial go, got the outside light functioning OK, lobby lights OK but the landing light when swicthed on downstairs & turned off upstairs, will not turn back on downstairs unless the upstairs one is swicthed first, complicated I know, but its a challenge.
Regards
Otto

Sponsored Links
Why will some say that you require a double pole switch? What nonsence!

i personally agree, but some on here insist that all outside lights should be switched with a double pole swich for safety..

you never mentioned an external switch in your OP..

you say you've got the light up and working already? wow you work fast...

The light is external, not the switch. Its fed from a 3 gang wall switch, not working as such, still can't fathom the double pole for the landing light!!!
Regards
Otto

Does the outside light glow dimmly....along with the hall or landing light!?!

Actually, putting a low energy lamp in series with a mains lamp may cause the low energy lamp to operate (albeit not to full brightness), and the filament lamp may not even light - but would be live!

Photos of behind the switch, or an explanation of each wire to each terminal would help immensly!

In this situation if I didn't want to pull extra cable to the switch I'd use relays, it can be done. But I know most on here don't think it's such a good idea.

But it is an option - provided you don't want dimmers!! ;)

Lights operate a correct intensisty, unfortunaltely I'm not at home so don't have my camera to provide pictures.

toasty said:
In this situation if I didn't want to pull extra cable to the switch I'd use relays, it can be done. But I know most on here don't think it's such a good idea.

But it is an option - provided you don't want dimmers!! ;)

Eh? The outside light will need a neutral. What if the landing light is on a different circuit to the hall? If there is no neutral at the switch then he can't run the light from it without adding a neutral.
Assuming a normal loop in rose, is it possible to change the twin and earth switch cable from the hall light from a 2c and earth to a 3c and earth?
Isn't it always overcast in Whitehaven marra? ;)

I've sacked the job off, got the outside light & hallway light working OK but struggled with the landing light, no matter what orientation I wired it, it would not function correctly. Going to replace the double gang switch and run the light from a fused spur hidden under the stairs.
Thanks for all your help.
Otto, signing off from a quite sunny but breezy Whitehaven.

Cheers sparky Marra !!

if you havent run a new wire to the 3 gang switch then you have probably stolen a strapper from a 2way lighting circuit..?

photo's of what you've got would help us out loads..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back