slipped tile, bird has made nest in roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a look at my roof, and discovered a couple of tiles have slipped. One has slipped down the roof, and in the gap that it left, a starling (I think it's a starling) has made a nest between the other tiles and the felt.

I understand it is an offence to remove or disturb the nests of wild birds, but it looks like rain and I'm worried about water penetration. So... do I have to somehow put a tarpaulin over the gap, leaving access for the mother bird to feed the young; or do I just leave it until the young have flown the nest? Or is there another solution?

I would be grateful for any advice on this, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Pidgeons are vermin.........you may be lucky, some look like starlings :eek: ....try a piece of wide DPC or heavy plastic tucked under tiles and rucked to leave an access hole under :idea:

not sure how old your roof is but the felt might still be ok and should keep the water out.
If there are chicks in the nest then let them be.. messing around with bits of plastic etc might put the adults off and the little ones will die anyway.

If no chicks yet the hook the nest out and get the roof repaired quick..I wont tell

Good advice from the above 2 posts, if no chicks then replace tiles, i'm sure the birds will find another home ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick and useful replies.

The felt is in good condition, about 30 years old and no sign of deterioration; at least looking from inside the loft it seems watertight. I don't really want to disturb the nest as there are chicks; besides it was my neighbour who pointed out the problem so there would be a "witness".

Good idea NigeF about using some DPC or plastic, :idea: but I guess I'll leave it until the birds have flown.... so to speak. I'll retrieve the slipped tiles before they kill someone.

I did a job a few weeks ago. I found lots of OLD birds nests and one live squirrels nest. The mother ran across my face and frightened the life out of me.

I removed the fascia board and found 3 baby squirrels (they were ready for leaving the nest) I rang the RSPCA for advise. They told me if they were red then leave alone, if grey then either kill them or capture and they would come and gas them :eek:

Poor little things, apparently its an offence to release grey squirrels and they are classed as vermin, but when you have them in your hand and they haven't had cause to fear man they look so cute.

Anyway, they informed me that if i did happen to come across any nesting birds then i must NOT disturb them. I'm sure the felt will provide sufficient weather protection untill your guests have left.

Anyone know how long starlings take to fly away from a nest when the hatch?

Its also a windy day today, could that not blow the whole nest away... :rolleyes:

Found this from another website:

During the breeding season, the nest, an untidy pile of twigs, grasses, moss, wool and feathers, is made in a hole, typically in a building or a tree. The male begins nest construction, but the female completes it.

After mid-April, 5-7 bluish eggs are usually laid, although up to 9 eggs have been known in a clutch. Both parents incubate the eggs for up to 15 days, they then feed the chicks for 20-22 days.

I thought these things were ten-a-penny but not so. Same website notes: Widespread, but currently undergoing a rapid decline. Protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981, and included in the Birds of Conservation Concern Red List (high conservation concern).

Best let them be for the time being.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back