rendering on blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help i am having trouble with rendering on thermal blocks and turbo blocks with the render blowing can anyone help with the correct mix i should use or any prep work i should or could do first been told not to p v a as this bridges it??? cheers :cry:

Sponsored Links
I will be interested in seeing the responses from the guys actually doing it ,

as a specifier , i always ask for concrete blocks as an outer skin to receive render

i for one would not use lightweight (high suction) blocks on an external situation.

saturate the blocks with a garden hose.

good luck.

I'm keen to know the answer as well.
I'm about to render some medium density blocks and want to avoid a c*ck-up.
Usual rendering style consists of trying to press it on with a trowel gradually descending to standing about 3 foot from the wall and lobbing handfuls of muck at it until it stays put.

Sponsored Links
SOAK THE WALL MIX 4 TO 1 AND ADD A CAP FULL OF OPTIMIX TO EACH MIX.

hi, i suggest you contact thermalite technical department and submit the question to them, they will for sure give you the correct advice.

wet your wall do a 3 sand 1 cement mix render your wall then get a piece of wood about 6inches long hammer nails through it and scratch the render moving along in a wave motion.then leave to dry and do a second coat this is your finish coat.the first coat is to take out any uneven bits sticking out or holes etc that need filling.if u do one coat u normally see the block shapes through it once it dries but also depends how thick u put it on.normally u do 2 coats also seals it better.

Use SBR slurry straight 1 to 1 SBR latex bonding and portland cement paint on with roller and stiff brush leave to dry the your scratch coat

Use SBR slurry straight 1 to 1 SBR latex bonding and portland cement paint on with roller and stiff brush leave to dry the your scratch coat

There's your answer boys :wink :Maybe wet the sbr/cement before you spread the scratch....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back