Noisy Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my boiler bangs when it comes on and someone said it was sludge build up in the heat exchange.

I have a sealed/pressurised system. And was going to inject into one of the rads some stuff called System Silencer?

Should I do this and do I need to drain and refill the system after its been in there for a bit, or does it stay in the system?

I have never drained a sealed system - is thiis simple or do I need the experts... :cool:

Sponsored Links
Could be sludge/scale, but have you checked the basics as i is the pump running correctly. Banging is usually a sign of lack of flow through the boiler.

If you bleed your rads is the water clean or black/rusty or like treacle? If so it needs a thorough clean out using a cleansing chemical instead of a silencer chemical. Use a good cleanser from fernox or sentinel and follow M I's. Afterwards flush through with clean water and then drain down, add inhibitor on final fill ;)

Very easy to drain/fill on a sealed system ;)

Sponsored Links
our boiler is an ideal minimiser. there is a new pump and valves fitted as the system was adjusted 2 years ago when an extension was built. up til then it was quiet. its never been right since. :(

You are one of the lucky ones if you have a minimiser that is still working :rolleyes:

Treat it with kid gloves, it won't last much longer :rolleyes:

Yet another c*** boiler from Ideal. May last a few years but would suggest you start saving your pennies :cry:

sooOooo is it worth putting this stuff in the system to try to stop the noise, or would it be better under the circumstances (nasty boiler) to get a boiler man in??
we are willing to have a bash at draining the system after putting the silencer in or will we just make it worse!?

jul33y said:
sooOooo is it worth putting this stuff in the system to try to stop the noise, or would it be better under the circumstances (nasty boiler) to get a boiler man in??
we are willing to have a bash at draining the system after putting the silencer in or will we just make it worse!?

if its only doing it on start up then no it aint worth it

it probably needs a service, beaware servicing this is a beeeatch and takes about hour and half!!

I hate them with apassion and they are as bad as the lads say

Try it your self. Follow M I's and see what happens. You can always call in a CORGI if it doesn't work afterwards ;)

gas4you said:
Try it your self. Follow M I's and see what happens. You can always call in a CORGI if it doesn't work afterwards ;)

but it cant be the system gas or it wouldbe kettling and banging once it starts to heat up

sounds to me like muck has got on burner and the boiler is suffering from explosive ignition like these heaps are prone to

thinking about it, it is only on start up (been woken up at 6am every morning for two s****ing years!)
so shall we just have a service and forget about the silencer/inhibitor??

True, just trying for the cheapest answer for op.

Do as corgiman says and get in a good local corgi. You may have to try a few as not all will touch these boilers :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back