Cloudy Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have very cloudy water when run from the hot water tap, cold water is crystal clear and no other obvious problems with our central heating, we have a Baxi 105e combination boiler which so far hasn't missed a beat. Could this be a build up of limescale in the system? If so how do I combat it?

Sponsored Links
If you run a glass of water, does the cloudiness disappear within less than a minute?

its usually just aerated water, nothing to worry about.

if its sort of gritty then it could be limescale i suppose.

Heather, ther's nothing really wrong with your hot water if it's just cloudy when drawn off. It will clear after a minute or so. This happens because you draw off the hot water quickly after it is heated in your boiler

Sponsored Links
If the glass of water clears from the bottom upwards it is thousands of air bubbles, if it clears from the top downwards it is some form of solid or sediment in the water ;)

It's nothing to worry about as the cloudy appearance is simply thousands of air bubbles created by the calcium present within the water being heated.

Fill a glass and the bubbles can be seen to disperse from the bottom to the top of the glass.

baxpoti said:
the cloudy appearance is simply thousands of air bubbles created by the calcium present within the water being heated.

Nothing to do with calcium at all. Saturated (dissolved) air in the water comes out of solution when the water is heated.

Absolutely nothing to worry about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back