DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Painting a mouldy wall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve__M

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote

My victorian terrace is bigger than the one next to it, so exposes a single brick thick wall to the western weather (ie. it's the width of a brick thick rather than the length)

I currently let it out, and it's all been fine for 5 years till last winter's wet weather. I went there last week to find half the wall covered in black mould (the current tenant is not fussy!) . The mould is pretty much aligned with where the wall is exposed.

The outside of the wall is rendered, so it may be condensation build up rather than rain soaking in (the window sill was also very mouldy), so I'm hoping a good clean, a coat of paint, and instructions to the tenant to keep the room aired will sort it.

Any opinions, or recommendations on paint?

Thanks for any suggestions.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Zampa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote

Few of the companies do a paint for kitchens that has an additive to reduce mould...I think Johnstones do one...called sterasheild
 Alert Moderators
MattJD

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote

Have similar problems with the house we've just brought, also previously tenanted!

We were told to scrub the mouldy section with a water/bleach mix to kill the mould spores before repainting, haven't actually got round to that room yet so cant say if it works!

Matt
 Alert Moderators
Steve__M

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote

Before I could sort it out my tenant treated it with mildew remover and overpainted with bathroom paint - so cross fingers for next winter.

Thanks for the suggestions.
 Alert Moderators
Trishalaffan

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote

everyone keeps talking about bleach to eradicate mould but although it will camoflage it for a while it does not kill the spores. Only fungicide will do this so its important to use it. Can be bought anywhere.
 Alert Moderators
Zampa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote

Even though the painting industry big players endorsed using bleach for years 9until they brough out their own products)

I have used it it 30 years and I have never had a come back..the only thing you have to watch is not washing.neutralising it..its can discolour subsequent coats.
 Alert Moderators
breezer

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote

Trishalaffan, i think it fair to say that Steve_M has probably solved it by now as he asked 17 months ago and he has not posted since March, so i doubt he will reply just now.
Also if Zampa says it does work (he is our resident painting expert) then thats good enough for me.

Zampa wrote:
I have used it it 30 years and I have never had a come back.
 Alert Moderators
Trishalaffan

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote

I may be a woman but I have been a decorator for 25 years and the science does not support using bleach to treat mould. The paragraph below taken from a techhnical website explains why. Its just as easy to buy fungicide so why not use it !!

Bleach is not recommended. The presence of organic (humic) materials, the pH (acidity/alkalinity) of the water, the surface material and contact time affect the effectiveness of bleach for disinfection. Since these factors are not generally controlled, bleach cannot be relied upon for disinfection. The most compelling reason for advising against bleach is that cancer-causing substances can be formed by the reaction of bleach with organic materials. In addition, the fumes are harmful.
 Alert Moderators
Zampa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote

A WOMAN decorator...Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus..what is the industry coming too, dont get me wrong theres nothing wrong with women (in general) but this is the reason our cooking, cleaning and childminding industries are going down the pan!

Dear o, dear o, dear...............this country icon_sad.gif

Only kidding Trisha icon_razz.gif im a big fan of femmiedekkies...sexisim aside some people in the industry are too blinkered to reliase their potential

Kiss, kiss, grovel, grovel..

Intesting article and a good read..but this has been taken from a Canadian website thats unrelated to the painting industry,
 Alert Moderators
Zampa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Also if Zampa says it does work (he is our resident painting expert) then thats good enough for me.

Only one of many on here..
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: