Will this work? Diagram attached...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I currently have a microbore set up in my house but want to move and add a few radiators in the system. I want to remove the 2 radiators being fed from the manifolds - as shown by the red X's in the image, and replace them as shown.

I'm assuming the best way to do this is by plumbing a 15mm spur into the main flow and return and then supplying 3 radiators from that. 1 of the radiators will be inside a conservatory and I've estimated the btu requirement for now. The length of the run to the farthest rad would be about 8-10 metres I expect.

Does this look ok in principle and is it how the pro's would do it?

spur-layout.jpg

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The existing installation does not look very neat but if I was faced with doing it I am not sure how I could make it look much better.

In principle it should work but in view of the long distances it depends on how far it is to the existing rads and their loading.

I am concerned that the resistance of such a long run might make it difficult to balance with the existing.

On a conventional system its normal to limit the rads supplied by 15 mm to about 3.5 kW whereas you have nearly six. It all depends on the distances and power of the others.

Its rather unfortunate that we dont have any standard pipe sizes other than 15 mm and 22 mm as thats quite a big gap. You might need to use say half of thre distance in 22 mm.

Microbore works best when the small bore distance to each rad from the manifold is roughly equal so the resistances act as a balancing mechanism.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I have fitted lots & lots & lots more microbore systems and yes it will work though you might be best to take 22mm to the first tee and then 15mm for the final two rads.
Or just do it as is and it will work .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back