Additional 18 double sockets!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am in the process of converting my nice double garage into a gaming sanctuary for local community. And I was wondering what i would have to do to add the new sockets?? I currently have an electrical feed going to the garage but has recently ceased to function (probably jus fuse in old fuse box).

I really need to know if I can just up the fuse in the fuse box and remove the single socket in the garage and link up the many other sockets? and can i make a ring circuit even though is jus a single cable running over?

also can people tell me if it is safe for the existing cable to be running outside (no cracks etc on cable).

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If members of the public will be using this facility, then DIY is out of the question. Whereas your home is under your control, the moment the public have access, whether real or defacto, then the Health and Safety Executive has jurisdiction, that means a qualified Electrician must do the work and it must all be certificated.

Plus it will need Public Liability Insurance to prevent you being sued should someone have an accident in the premises.

Further, even if others are only volunteers helping out, they are a defacto employee, thus you must comply with the Electricity at Work Regulations.

I would also check out the employers liability Insurance angle. If you employ people, it is a legal requirement, not too sure about volunteers though.

i wouldn't risk uprating if you don't know the exact size and type of the old cable

my advice is to wire as follows
[code:1]
40Amcb in non-rcd side of house cu
|
10mm twin and earth
|
2 module metal din rail box with rcd
|
6mm 3 core xple swa
|
small metal cu
| |
32A breaker 6A breaker
| |
2.5mm socket ring 1.5mm lighting cuircuit
[/code:1]
remeber to use the proper glands on the swa

while you can put it on the rcd side of the existing cu you still need a metal box to terminate the swa and you still need an double pole isolator (cu style rcds are speced to conform as isolators) and it removes the possibility of nusence tripping of your main cu rcd if you use a seperate one

Sponsored Links
i would say a mixture of both replies, but the main thing is the public /diy aspect, so it doesn't matter (to you) how its wired, because you should not be doing it.

Put it this way, you make one mistake and some gets (at worst) killed could you live with that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back