minimum size required for ensuite & shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We need another shower or just another toilet in our house ( 2 teenagers + 1 bathroom = madness !)

I have two options. Either have a shower, toilet and basin, or just go for a toilet and basin.

There are two possible areas these could go, it all depnds on the minmum space required on where and what I have. We have just built an extension so we have moved the kitchen, and I now have a room free ( small for a kitchen, but free - extension is huge - kitchen, farmhouse table plus L sofa, study area etc 28ft x25ft, we have a front room, and will reinstate dining room)

I could either:

a) put a shower room in the old kitchen
or
b) put ensuite in my bedroom ( depend on minum size required)

then I thought, depending on the minmum size required:, if I have room for en suite in my room, would I be better of doing the following:

c)put ensuite in my bedroom and partition the the old kitchen in two, put just a toilet & basin down stairs in one half and in the other half put a utility room ? both rooms will have their own doors from the hall way.

Any ideas? I have tried to measure out the size of a shower tray, toilet etc, but it is hard to visualise ( not the same a furniture - typical woman I know!) Would I be better of if I have the room making an ensuite? or making another shower room which in theory is for all, and not just for us?

And what would be better in re-sale value in years to come? Do people prefer ensuites? or just a downstairs loo and utility room?

Any advice would be gratefully recieved

Sharon

Sponsored Links
It all depends on the size of your bedroom. In theory all you need is a width of a shower try (~760mm I think). If you created a rectangular en-suite with the door situated in the centre then the door would open into the bedroom. Once open the hand basin would be in front of you with the toilet on the right (or left) and the shower on the opposite side. There wouldn’t be masses of space but it will do the job. If you have more room then make it bigger.
Then as you suggested make the old kitchen into a toilet and utility room.
Personally if I was looking to buy a house I would prefer any additional shower room to be off a bedroom and not down stairs. The toilet and utility room would also be a selling point and add value.
On the other hand if you are limited on space in the bedroom then use the old kitchen to create a nice size shower/bath room. Just remember if you convert the old kitchen the second teenager can still get to it before you so you will loose both bathrooms!!!! If it’s in your room then you’re less likely to catch any straying teenagers.
:D :D

Look down this page at the "Space En-suite" and "Space Solutions" sections for an idea of what can be squeezed in.

http://www.ideal-standard.co.uk/homeowner/stylelistings.aspx?r=1&s=1

The en-suite will be the better option, though picking up the drains may be easier with the kitchen option.

Here are some pics of one I did in a 900x3000 space that I partitioned off at the end of a room (one with the mosaic)

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back