Move Staircase sideways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to move my staircase sideways a couple of inches to allow clearance between a new handrail to be fitted and an upstairs wall.

The stairs was a straight flight up to a 'half-landing' in front, with one further step up to the left straight into a bedroom, one step up on the right to the landing. There were originally walls on both sides of the stairs, with handrail on the right between newell posts / landing banister.

I've taken the left hand wall down, and removed the right handrail & newells, to be replaced by a newell / handrail on the left. The problem is, if I install the handrail as it stands, it will be too close to the left upstairs wall to grip the rail properly. Ideally I need to move the staircase 2-4 inches to the right.

Can anyone advise how difficult it would be do detach & refix the existing staircase, particularly at the top? Most of the woodwork is currently exposed from the top & sides, but the plasterboard is obscuring underneath, so I'm not sure how it's fixed. Would I have to hit hell out of it with a big hammer to get it off?

I was going to fit the handrail & put up with it being too close, but I'd really like to do it properly if I can.

I've already cut a newell post for the bottom (though it took me ages), so I could do another for the top, which I guess I'd need to.

Grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back