RCCB's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm about to fit a shower pump to increase my water pressure but reading the instructions, it says i must fit an RCCB to the wiring system. This is where my ignorance kicks in, what is an RCCB and what rating do i need to use bearing in mind the pump fuse is 5amp It also says the supply should be taken via a fused spur from the ring main.Can the RCCB be wired from the the spur from the ring main? ,i do have an idea what it is and what its function is but very vague.

Much appreciated for any help.

Sponsored Links
You can get a Fused Spur (FCU) with RCD incorporated. This can be spurred off the socket ring. The correct rating is 30mA but this is the normal one. I have never seen one with a different rating. It should be installed outside the bathroom.
You need to verify that you have correct Supplementary Bonding in the bathroom, and add this circuit to it.

I have assumed that you do not have an RCD on the circuit on the other sockets.

Electrical work in bathrooms is notifiable to the Building Control Office, so you may find it easier to get a qualified electrician to do it. I gather you are not skilled in this kind of work.

Also, what do you mean by boost the pressure? Is the shower currently fed from a header tank?

Thank you for that advice JohnD, very helpful.
Hi Spark123,
The original mixer shower was gravity fed from the water tank.The new mixer shower is a power shower which hasn't a hope in hell of working without the pump assistance.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, no probs. I just had nasty visions of someone connecting a power shower directly to the mains water supply again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back