Wiring Security Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Complete novice here (I can wire a plug though!)....I have an external security light (Sensorlight Beta 500) which I need some advice wiring.

Can it be connected to a fused plug and plugged into a socket in my kitchen or does it have to be wired into an existing light switch??....if the later?.. How?.. Am I going to have to start running new wires into my walls and re-decorating??....you can tell I want the simple way can't you??

Apologies for my ignorance

Buzz.. :oops:

Sponsored Links
If a security light can be plugged in and out you could say it isn't very secure.

Same with any wiring showing on the outside of the property, or indeed having the fitting low enough to be reached with a stick or tool.

Is there no way you could have the lamp higher up and bring a cable towards an up stairs room socket? Kitchens have special rules (see Wiki for info) so that's the least desirable place for a DIY electrical job.

Ideally you should run the light via a fused spur unit that you wire from a single or double socket on the ring main. Fuse would be wattage of the lamp divided by 240- so a 500w lamp would take a 3 amp fuse.

A bodge would be to buy some arctic cable (which is outside graded stranded cord flex), wire this from the fitting and feed through a hole in to the house. Hopefully you position the lamp so that there's a local socket. Fit a 3 amp plug and away you go.

if you drill any holes in to (or out od :D ) a building always make sure you have a 15 deg + angle upwards from out to in. This prevents water running down the cable or wall and along the cable and in to the property.

A cable should run below the hole and back up to it, on 3" or so- that's called a drip loop and again prevents damp issues.

It's a mute subject, Part P requires you to notify for external works- I believe the censuses is that providing the cable (mostly) goes straight in to the house from the light fitting it avoids the Part P requirement.

I'll just go and get my flame suit, I'm sure there will be further debate :LOL:

If you can find a suitable twin skt in a bedroom replace it with a single skt and 3A fcu, using a dual box. Not much chiselling out to do, drill the hole through the wall from the inside. Use 1mm black flex.
Connect up, fit the lamp and finally the fuse. Having said that it is notifiable work strickly speaking.
Also an electrician would be taking appropriate readings as he proceeded to do the work.
Of course, there are other safety precautions he would be taking as well, like switching off the mains before he began work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys....the light would probably be about 3-4m up my back wall so going into the house to a double socket in my bedroom....dunno why I mentioned kitchen!!??....I'll look into your suggestions more closely.

Cheers

Buzz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back