Wiring electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My terminal outlet box behind the oven already has two sets of wires running into it. One that presumably comes from the radial circuit. The other that comes from "somewhere behind the plaster"! The wires are only live when I switch on the control unit. Presumably, I can just wire my new oven into the terminal outlet box as normal? Thanks, Paul.

Sponsored Links
What rating is the circuit's protective device (fuse/mcb)?

Do you have an electric hob that this other cable coule be feeding?

What sort of oven are you fitting? What's its rating in watts or kilowatts?

Thanks for your quick reply, Crafty. I'm at work at the moment and don't know the rating of the oven or the unit. The new appliance is a double electric oven with electric hob. There is no separate hob, so that doesn't solve the mystery of the additional wire (yet!). Paul

You really need to find what that wire feeds. Turn off the circuit and see if theres anything in the kitchen that doesn't work. Test all the sockets with a known working lamp.

If you're then certain it no longer feeds anything, by all means disconnect it from that box, and remove it so nobody reconnects it.

Sponsored Links
you sometimes find some idiot has connected an electric shower to the cooker circuit :rolleyes:

Another possibility is that in the past, there has been a separate hob and oven, and the cable goes off to some disused point.

Didn't get a chance to check the rating of the oven or fuse. However, I did identify that the 'mystery wire' feeds a socket in the shed which is currently serving the tumble dryer!

That wont do I'm afraid. :(

A tumble dryer is a high-load appliance (in 13 amp plug terms), and therefore should not be on a cooker circuit, and especially not this side of the cooker switch!!!

How easy would it be to re-arrange power to the shed?

Thanks Crafty.

Spurring off the cooker point is the kind of thing I would do!! It seems the world is full of Mr Botch-It's - myself included.

Could I power the shed by a spur from an existing plug socket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back