Rendering steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! I have constructed a flight of steps made out of breeze blocks. I would like to render them.
Will a 10-12mm 3-1 mix be enough or do I need to do two coats?
Also is it best to put an angle bead across each tread edge?

Thanks for any advice given.

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris,

Are we talking about rendering just the side of the steps or are you planning on doing the face of the steps too?

For the sides, a 3-1 mix will do fine but I'd do two coats, a scratch coat and a top one.

If you're planning on doing the face of the steps (i.e. the bits that will actually be stood on and the bits that are likely to be toe kicked) then I doubt a 3-1 mix will be strong enough to take frequent wear. I could be wrong though but i personally would put a concrete screed on the face of the steps.

regards

Fred

Thanks Fred

Perhaps I would be better off using paving slabs for the tread and two coats of render for the risers.
Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Chris

Wahay, steps and risers, they're the words I was looking for!

Yes, quite possibly. Just lay the slabs on a bed of mortar.

To coats are always best but don't forget to scratch the first coat to key it for the second.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back