Norton Internet Security 2006 installed on PC -- issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

I have Norton IS 2006 on my PC right now. The 1-yr's membership has now expired. I've got a few Qs, and would appreciate answers and opinions to guide me -- thanks!:

1) Is F-Secure IS 2007 any good? (Thinking of changing brands for my new IS program.)

2) Are all Norton Anti-Virus 2007 programs multi-license? (That is, if my relative's box doesn't have the multi-license logo on it, will that mean that there's no way to use that program and install it on my PC?)

3) If I go ahead and purchase Norton AV 2007, will it work in tandem with my current Norton IS 2006 program, and therefore I'll not need to uninstall that program? (Or will that cause driver problems? -- i.e. I should completely uninstall Norton IS?)

RS ;)

Sponsored Links
You can buy AV 2007 and it will give you another year's updates of viruses... which is probably all you need. I have addeded newAV and new Internet Security onto existing Norton Systemworks, and it tracks the expiry date separately.

I am assuming your original was a new, licenced copy and you registered it correctly.

I have recently taken to buying new,sealed,unregistered retail or OEM packs of Fleabay, you can usually get last-year's version (e.g. AV2006) cheap from proper dealers or resellers.

In your case you need 2007 which will not be sold off cheap until AV2008 version comes out.

If you try to install the same licence on several pcs, the registration will fail. This happened to me when I had a hard-disk failure and tried to reinstall it. I phoned Symantec in Ireland and they asked me why,verified my identity,registration no and so on,and reset it to allow new installation registration. that will obviously not work if you are trying to pirate someone else's copy. It is one licence, one user, unless you buy the business version and pay per user.

I'm not a fan of NIS, although the A/V product is generally quite good. Do you really need a software firewall at all? If you have a good router with a firewall, you might want to opt for anti-virus and spyware applications only.

In my experience, NIS2007 slows things down even more than the 2006 package.

Thanks guys for the info. I think I'll go down the Norton A/V route this time, cos yes, I agree, Norton IS really slows down programs.

One thing -- once I get Norton AV 2007, will I need to remove Norton IS 2006 completely from my system?

//RS

Sponsored Links
Rollingstone06 said:
Thanks guys for the info. I think I'll go down the Norton A/V route this time, cos yes, I agree, Norton IS really slows down programs.

One thing -- once I get Norton AV 2007, will I need to remove Norton IS 2006 completely from my system?

//RS

Personally, I would remove NIS in it's entirety. I would also use Symantecs removal tool to uninstall any of the fragments that the internal installer leaves behind. This should give you a clean base to start from.

Back