old and new nuts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Ive just fitted a new cistern inlet valve, but the nut from the old pipe (connecting the water pipe to the new one, under the cistern)will not seal completely, perhaps it\\\'s imperial and new metric. How do I solve this problem please?

Sponsored Links
malvo said:
Hi, Ive just fitted a new cistern inlet valve, but the nut from the old pipe (connecting the water pipe to the new one, under the cistern)will not seal completely, perhaps it\\\'s imperial and new metric. How do I solve this problem please?

Make sure the fibre washer is in good condition-if not change it-failing that fit a flexi pipe which would mean cutting the pipe below the cistern and fitting the flexi connector-you can get a pushfit or compression for the copper pipe end. ;)

:eek: Thanks, problem is really between the plastic screw pipe coming from the bottom of the inlet valve joing to the metal water pipe (small U bend), the nut is metal, it does not seem to make a complete seal, is there a sealing compound on something such? :confused:

malvo said:
:eek: Thanks, problem is really between the plastic screw pipe coming from the bottom of the inlet valve joing to the metal water pipe (small U bend), the nut is metal, it does not seem to make a complete seal, is there a sealing compound on something such? :confused:

The threads should be the same. Make sure you aren't getting the nut cross threaded on the inlet, if you are it won't seal; and you could bugger it beyond use. Also ensure your fibre washer is in good nick (ie use a new one).

Sponsored Links
:oops: sounds as if my problem is this fibre washer, I don't have one, where should it be? :confused:

malvo said:
:oops: sounds as if my problem is this fibre washer, I don't have one, where should it be? :confused:

It sits on the end of the fitting where your brass swivel nut connects to your plastic valve inlet--if the nut cross threads you won't get it to seal properly so make sure the nut goes on dead straight-and if threads get chewed up and you can't get it to connect straight then you'll be wanting a new valve.. ;)

The point where the water is sealed off is the where the washer is - the nut just presses and holds the joint together but the threads do not seal.

An old trick is to wrap some ptfe tape around over the washer if you can pull the nut back out of the way - it seals any weak points.

:cry: I've wrapped a little and then a lot of tape around the screw but to no avail, less of a leak but still there. Not cross threading and as tight as i can go.

Did you pull the joint apart and wrap the tape around over the washer ? (wrapping around the screw threads is not the place). Do not over tighten - you will damage the screw threads on the plastic and need a new valve.

yep although a more rounded top, can't remove the nut.

you can move the nut a little way along and get at the washer - fit new washer. Buy the washer first - "1/2 inch tap connector washer "

or as someone suggested cut the pipe and put in a flexi-connector.

The nut is captive on the fitting, so it can't be removed. The washer sits over the spigot on the end of the copper pipe inside the fitting.
I would recommend replacing the washer any time the connector gets disturbed - they only cost a few pennies each.

After use they can get squeezed out of shape and wedge in the threads of the nut, and need digging out with a small screwdriver or similar. Sometimes they just fall out when the joint is dismantled.

These washers seem to be photophobic recluses - Drop one on the floor, and it immediatly makes off for the darkest remote corner it can find :)

You are trying to make a seal between the end of the threaded part of the ball valve and the flat area around the central spigot in the connector, not seal the nut to the thread of the connector.
The end of the ball valve spigot should be smooth and free of any nicks and dings or chewed bits of plastic that may be left from previous attempts.

Soak a new fibre washer in water for a while to soften it, clean any remains of the old washer out of the connector, push the new washer over the spigot in the connector and re-assemble. There should be no need for any PTFE tape or any other sealants. The nut should run up the threads easily by hand, and just need a tweak with a spanner to compress the washer. If it binds, check the threads are not 'crossed'

If the thread or end of the ball valve looks like something the dog has been chewing for a week, then you may need another ball valve :cry:

:eek: :) :D :LOL: SUCCESS FOLKS, many thanks to all for their advice, I have no drips, the washer was a success. I am no longer flushed with embarrassment.
Particular thanks to TicklyT also for your sense of humour, tickled mine.
Thanks again all ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back