Electric Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a three switch socket and am trying to change the front from a brass to chrome switch. I can't get the wiring right either one of the three switches will turn on two lights or one will turn them all off. It's driving me mad. I would really appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks. :evil:

Sponsored Links
What is a 3 switch socket?
Do you mean a 3 gang light switch?
What wires were connected to what terminals on the old switch (you did keep a note of what went where, didnt you?)

If not, tell us:
1. how many cables enter the box
2. what color wires each cable has
3. are any of them connected together?
4. have you got a photo of the wiring?
5. do any of the switches control a light that can also be switched on&off from another switch (like up and downstairs?

I await your reply, with bated breath

TTC, have a mint ffs, your breath stinks. :LOL:

6. Do you posess a multimeter?

Only because somebody hasn't mentioned it for a while, they get younger here every day, don't they? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Clearly changing from brass to chrome in Durham is a big step.

At least it looks as though there are no neutrals in the switch, otherwise it would be matt black.

Find the live feed into the switch, there should only be one.

Loop this to all three "common" terminals.

Put one remaining wire into each switch terminal number one. Try the switches to see which lights come on. This should at least move you on a stage.

Any switches that give the desired effect, leave for now. Let me know whats left.

Read this part first. Unless you are competent to do so, you should not remove switch plates for vanity. The hard of thinking should beware. You may be putting yourself and others at risk.

Taylortwocities said:
What is a 3 switch socket?
Do you mean a 3 gang light switch?
What wires were connected to what terminals on the old switch (you did keep a note of what went where, didnt you?)

If not, tell us:
1. how many cables enter the box
2. what color wires each cable has
3. are any of them connected together?
4. have you got a photo of the wiring?
5. do any of the switches control a light that can also be switched on&off from another switch (like up and downstairs?

I await your reply, with bated breath

There is one yellow and green cable and three red that entre the box, plus one red cable that connects two of the switches on the back of the switch plate. One switch can be switched one and off from another switch. If only we had a photo, and no my other half didn't make a note of what went where when he took the old one off. Thanks for the help I await your response!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back