Flooring - Squeaks are driving me mad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We have recently finished a self build project but the upstairs floors are squeaking alot. They are 18mm water resistant chipboard (T&G) glued together as per building regs. Ive tried using screws every 150mm but they keep making a noise. I'm just about to start ripping them up again but I'm not sure what I need to put between the floor and the joists? Is there a stanard rubber type tape? What do other people do. Any help is gratfully recieved as this is just about driving me mad. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
what other people do is not fit the shoite in the first place.

read through some of the earlier posts on this subject and you will understand what i mean.

we as builders, and where applicable will only fix timber floor boarding. not only does chipboard squeak but it is lousy when servicing pipes or wires below.

in future steer well clear.

Flooring doesn't squeak unless it moves.

If you've screwed down the flooring then it can't move. What screws did you use, and did you screw into joists?

If the flooring isn't moving then it must be the joists flexing, which is a deeper problem.

I have the same problem!! see my post about "why has my floor sunk"!!!

i think i will be ripping it up soon!! whats the best material to replace the cr@p chipboard with?

Cheers,

Matt.

Sponsored Links
matty0908 said:
see my post about "why has my floor sunk"!
If you mean this one, then you have a very different problem, and you should not hijack this one.

I've replied to you on that other topic.

I would agree that chipboard, properly and securely fixed should not be the cause of any squeaks, merely the symptom.

I would look for other causes

Hmmm, now i think perhaps I have similar problmes to this thread!!

I was present when the chipboard was being fitted, but never knew how cr@p it was!!! I dont remember the guys using any glue!!!

There aernt too many nails holding the stuff down either!! but when a added lots of screws over the accessable parts, the situation did not improve and it still squeaks real bad!!

So, whats the best thing to use a floorboards???

matty0908 said:
So, whats the best thing to use a floorboards???

buy the regular 18mm thick 112mm wide pine t&g floor boards sold at most builders or timber merchants. these don't squeak even when using lost head nails.

you are best fitting these boards with a pair of floor cramps.

0880-large.jpg

floor cramps in as new condition :!: most are rusted lumps in "proper" chippy`s sheds....never to be used again :LOL:

I am afraid I do not agree with all thats being said here. Properly fitted wyroc should not squeak. The usual cause of a a squeak is the floor joists shrinking at different amounts(or being installed at different heights), this leads to small gaps under some which when walked upon go down and then come back up, thus causing the squeak. Screws should do better than nails, but a properly glued and nailed floor should not squeak. Floor boards do better because they are more pliable than wyroc. I do not prefer them beacuse they tend to shrink after the CH goes on and have gaps between them.

Hi me again, Lots of good advice but last night it got the better of me and I pulled up the floor in one of the rooms to find out whats going on. The room is 4 x 4m and I had to cut the floor into quaters using a circular saw set to the right level so I didn't damage the joists. I had used 35mm screws every 100mm so there were loads to take out. Anyway, there are steel 'noggin' brackets on every joist about mid span and these sit about 2-3mm pround on the top of the joists. Therefore, there is a very small triangular gap that when stood on must cause the relative movement and thus the squeek. I plan to place a membrane (damp course type sheet) bweteen the two and and screw it back down again. I could use a foam but then the floor would bounce. I'll let you know how I get on.

or you could have rubbed talcum powder into the joints to see if it stopped the squeeking (doesnt alwways work but worth a try). would have saved ripping it all up.

Timber T&G boards are OK if they have had time to acclimatise before fitting, but invariably they come straight from the merchants and nailed down the same day - and no amount of clamping is going to stop the inevitable shrinkage.

It is very rare that I see a property with tightly joined flooring, and 4-10mm gaps are common and then comes the twisting and grinning as the boards lift - and thats when the squeaks start.

The only real problem with chipboard flooring is when it gets wet - even P5 grade often needs replacing after a good soaking from a leak.

matty0908 said:
so no need for cramps then??!!
not "no need" but not used because no-one puts down proper T+G flooring now :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back