why has my floor sunk?

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Softus said:
The-brickie said:
7mm is not a massive amount of settlement
Where do you expect 7mm of settlement to occur?
The-brickie said:
I dont know
That's what I thought.

Mmm, I take your point, perhaps I should throw a guess in the ring and confuse the OP?

Or maybe I could leave that to you?

I picked up on what woody said because I know what he said was wrong, the main users of this forum are diyers and they might read what he said, go away and, if doing skirting say, leave a gap....... :rolleyes:

A gap between the skirting and structural floor does not mean a gap forever more.

It may get filled with things like ..... carpet, flooring, sealant.

It is also not a gap the size of (if it helps to visualise) say a bed joint, but perhaps more like a thinjoint system.

And when you get local condensation on a cold floor edge, it does not creep into the skirting and flake the paint

And expansion and contraction in either the floor or the wall does not cause the skirting to bow.

And (for instance) the floor covering can slip under the architrave instead of having some ugly cutting and fixing around it.

And architrave does not get spung off the frame if the floor or wall flexes.

And a gap allows skirting to be properly fitted level (not just plonked on the floor for ease of the carpenters) and alows adjustment after it is correctly scribed to the floor (your carpenters do that too I presume?)

No, what I said was not wrong - it is good practice. And just because you or "none of your carpenters" don't do it, does not make it wrong either.

The diyers on this forum may like to know how things should be done, not how they are done, or how people think they are done because their employees do it another way

Sponsored Links
There you go matty! a gap is a good thing, dont worry about it, it will stop thermal bridging.

It seems you will never know how it got the gap or why, people are too busy trying to make me look the fool than answer your post.

have a read here Mr Moderator and tell me this forum contains helpful advice .

ffs , a gap below skirtings , what next .

to the OP , ignore the info posted here for you own sake ,

get a brickie to do your skirtings , at least he knows what is right and wrong , despite the attempted redicule by the woodie god

matty0908 said:
Hi,

I had a double storey extension built over a year ago. The floor used for the 1st floor is 18mm or 25mm chipboard (ok, its c**p), this is nailed to very large joists supported by an RSJ one side and hangers the other. This was all approved by the building regs inspector.

The 1st floor floor is now approx 1/4" lower than when it was built!!!!! There are 1/4" gaps under the architrave. The bathroom tiles not longer touch the tiles bathroom floor by 1/4". The new floor is now 1/4" lower that the old floor!!!!

There are no cracks either upstatirs or downstiars!!!

I'm gonna get the builder back, but any ideas what is going on here??

Cheers,

Matt.

A better option may have been engineered TJI joists.
http://www.howarth-timber.co.uk/timbeng_sile.php#5

Exact same in my home.
1/4" gap below the skirting board. :(

Well here goes, lets have a try and explain as its been 'bumped'

Just looking at my girlfriends new house and lo and behold there it is, a gap under the skirting! But I doubt very much that it was fitted like that.

I, personally, would put it down to new timber not being seasoned like the old stuff and any movement/gaps is down to the timbers drying out and shrinking, thats why no cracks in masonry, just where wood meets wood.

If for example you have 9" joists, 3/4" flooring and 3" skirting making a total of nearly 13" a 1/4" shrinkage is not a great amount to lose overall.

All in my humble opinion of course :rolleyes:

i entirely agree with the brickie this amount of gap is consistant with wood drying out

fully saturated 5" timber will shrink a lot more than 6mm on its own ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back