2 Way light switch advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has a landing light and a stairway light.

At the foot of the stairs is a 1 way switch that controls the landing light only.
At the top of the stairs there is a 2 way switch. SW1 controls the stairway light and SW2 controls the landing light.

So, the landing light can be turned on or off from both downstairs and upstairs, but the stairway light can only be turned on or off from upstairs.

What I would like to do is replace the 2 way switch upstairs with a 1 way switch and wire it up so that both the downstairs switch and upstairs switch control both the stairway and landing lights.

I think it sounds simple, I.E. replace the 2 way switch with a one way switch and stuff the stairway light wires in the same holes as the landing light wires.
However......
I know absolutely nothing about domestic electrics and wiring.

Is it as simple as I think?
If I do this would the downstairs switch control both sets of lights or am I over simplifying lighting circuits?
Am I just barking up the wrong tree altogether and better off leaving them alone.........?

Cheers
Rob.

Sponsored Links
the problem i forsee is that the lights might be on different breakers..

locate and ( turn off / remove ) the ( breaker / fuse ) for the lights, if you have more than 1 fuse / breaker then turn one off at a time and see if either light still works..

if 1 fuse / breaker turns them both off, you're in luck.

it now depends on what wires you have at each switch..

so turn the breakers off and unscrew the light switches and post pics / description of wires in the switch holes..

Thanks for the reply, we only moved house last week so it's been bedlam this week!

As soon as I get a chance I'll get the photos of the switches and post them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back