2 lights 1 dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice please..
I need to run two light fittings each with 7 x 10 watt 12 G4 bulbs on one dimmer switch? They have transformers. What type of dimmer switch do I need?
Heard lots about buzzing dimmers and overloading so want to avoid expensive mistakes.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
check the transformers can be dimmed first (it will be printed on it)

If the transformer is round and heavy, dont try dimming it, they are not normally suitable for the task. If you can, remove the transformer and fit a small electronic one, which can be dimmed.

Anyhow, if the tx's are suitable for dimming, you'll need 280 watts of dimming minimum.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.
I checked one of the transformers and it doesn’t say if it is dimmable or not, but in NEXT directory (where I purchased light fittings) it said must use NEXT halogen dimmer switch so assumed that it is. I looked at the transformer and it is electronic.
Purchased a 400W/VA Intelligent Dimmer Switch (because we didn’t want the NEXT shiny chrome one) and light fitting buzzed!
Husband is cheesed off and we are now thinking about going back to a regular switch.
What are we doing wrong? Why the buzzing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back