Cannot undo Kitchen Mixer taps - Have bought crowfoot!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a set of mixer taps in the kitchen which have started to leak on the metal swan neck. I tried to replace them and bought a basin wrench (not sure if this is called a crowfoot spanner) it looks like a long T bar with a snap fit spanner head on the top.

The two pipes and the connection to the sink are all about 1cm apart and I don't know how to get them off. I thought about cutting the feeder pipes and fitting compression fittings however I think this still won't allow me to remove the fixing bolt to the sink.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
bigdek said:
you need the correct size box spanner

yes regardless you cannot get into the space to remove it, not unless i am doing something wrong.

Sponsored Links
If you're unlucky the tap was put into the sink before the sink was installed(as normal) in such a way that you now can't reach it even with a box spanner.
If that's the case you may be able to use a tiny adjustable or fixed open ended spanner, otherwise a real crowfoot spanner:
c8_1_b.JPG

bigdek said:
you need the correct size box spanner

Usually 13mm. They sell them in plumb center and most decent plumbers merchants.

With regards the connections.
Bend one pipe out of the way. Get the other as straight as you can. Undo the straight one first, They usually unscrew!
With the fixing undone the tap can then be removed with the now bent connection attached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back