Best fence post hole boring tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have seen that there are 2 types of tool for boring holes for fence posts. One is like a big cork screw, the other has 2 handles which can be opened and closed to move 2 curved blades at the bottom - sorry, don't know either tool's actual name!

I am after some advice on which is the better of the two types, or if one is better suited to certain types of soil / depth of hole etc.?

Also, how wide should the holes be made for 2.4m slotted concrete posts to be set in?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Both types are still quite hard work, although in nice, soft soil the corkscrew type is a good option. You can get powered ones, too, though they tend to dislocate your shoulder if they hit anything unyielding.

As for hole size, don't make them much bigger than the post. Make sure, however, that the hole is flared out at the bottom, rather like an elephant's foot.

cant beat a drain/trenching spade and a pair of gloves for putting on to get the last bits out at the bottom with your hands

Ok, thanks for your help. Think I'll go down the trenching spade route as the ground I'm digging into is quite hard and stoney.

Sponsored Links
Just wanted to say (for people searching) that I bought a £14.99 Newcastle shovel from Wickes and it does the job well. It is still work, but you get a nice small hole.
It's actually longer than the more expensive so-called fencing shovel that they also sell.

One tip is to use a trowel with the handle taken off to scoop out the mud.
My hands started to ache a bit just scooping it out with my gloves.

thats what i said in my post a few months ago! mines still going strong after a lot of hard use after 3 years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back