NEW FENCING COMPANY / BUSINESS VENTURE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking / aiming to set up my own fencing company & wondered if any of you experts out there had any advise for me?

How to charge - hourly / daily rates, mark up on products...
Best way of getting new business, press, flyers, yellow pages...
Best stockists / traders...
Must have tools...
Does & don'ts...

Any help / feedback would be great!

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo RSW FENCING and welcome :D :D :D

have you done your reserch!!!!

have you spoken to your small busnisses advisor!!!

are you prepaired to work for little money or at a loss for the first 2 years !!!

have you phoned round to see what the competition are charging!!!!!

have you been to suppliers to find the best value with the fencing avalable when you need it!!!!

are you prepaird to tackle other jobs to fill in quiet times!!!

have you looked into all the tax pension sickness pit falls of self employed!!!

have you looked at the possible conciquences of employing other people

and lastly there has been a shortage off fence panels ans assosiated materials recently :oops:

gcol said:
You want to start up your own fencing company but you don't know what tools you need?

Yes I know what tools are used / required but was after any helpful hints as to what tools fencers have found invaluable either bought or makeshift.

Thanks for your input on this one!!!

Sponsored Links
Hi Big-All, done most my research locally & booked to see a business advisor next week.

I did realise their is a shortage on timber / fences at the moment but spoke to a local supplier yesterday who informed me the situation seems to be getting a little better - is this the case.

Am also also considering decking & shed installation - are the supply of these affected to? What else can you recommend for quiet times?

Thanks

depends on your skills !!!!

RSW FENCING and garden management

RSW FENCING patios and paths

RSW FENCING and property maintanance

RSW FENCING and hand crafted gates

RSW FENCING including lawn and hedge services

RSW FENCING and wood preservation

RSW FENCING and massage services

RSW FENCING and midwife services

you know your skills but obviously you wont put all your skills on the van as some dont look right :D :D ;)

your flyers are a blank canvase

perhaps because your going to need a largish van or pickup you could offer garden and houshold clearence services keeping in mind you will need a disposal licence any way if your replacing a fence

supply of fencing materials is not easing and the prices of them are spiralling up at the moment. Lots of people are goin across to closeboard which is causing a shortage their as well. I suggest you speak to more than one supplier, never put your eggs in one basket. Decking is not affected but sheds are a nightmare too.

Dont bite off more than you can chew, start small and do jobs well and right. Youre reputation and experiance will build from there as will your client base.

whats your background and experiance?

RSW FENCING said:
I am looking / aiming to set up my own fencing company & wondered if any of you experts out there had any advise for me?

How to charge - hourly / daily rates, mark up on products...
Best way of getting new business, press, flyers, yellow pages...
Best stockists / traders...
Must have tools...
Does & don'ts...

Any help / feedback would be great!

"Looking to" and "aiming to" are two massively different positions to be in. Which one are you?

I don't think we need to be too pedantic with the OPs venture.

Commitment and enthusiasm will go further than spelling or semantics.

Important things are to get some customers and build up a reputation. Marketing is key here. Leafleting, mailshots and flyers in the local press or shops can generate work, but target the areas where the work is.

On your travels look for the broken fences and approach the homeowners. Be smart and professional so as not to be confused with the visiting ******. Get some brand awareness - a memorable logo on the van and some smart work gear - not jeans and a tee-shirt

Think up something more imaginative than RSW Fencing - that just says fencing to me, not other garden work.

Get the work first and then buy the tools you need.

Find you own local suppliers - don't forget the Wickes and B&Q's. Sort out an account so as to help your cash-flow.

Offer some additional services - perhaps a coat of coloured fence stain or treatment every couple of years.

I may see 5 fencers on my travels tomorrow, but how will I remember them? Be that one that stands out and gets noticed/remembered

Check out what your competetors are charging - ring them for some quotes!

Get out there after some storms and look for work.

Approach some insurance companies for inclusion on their contractor lists

WabbitPoo said:
You might want to brush up on your spelling and punctuation, too.

Thanks, I will take some English lessons. Good advice from the person that spells Rabbit with a W!!!

Big-all, Woody & Thermo, cheers for your advice, much appriciated.

My experience is only gained from doing my own garden & helping out a few family members & friends.

A big change in my life has pointed me in this direction - do you think I am biting of more than I can chew?

Any more advise / tips from decent people?

Are you strong and fit rsw? i reckon fencing is a challenging job and from what i've seen you need to be prepared to work hard and fast!
We had 12 panels with concrete posts and a gate fited at our last property and it was completed in a day including removal of old posts etc, there was 2 guys a transit pickup, large kango, cement mixer and post hole spades etc.
Just an idea but why not call around local fencers and see if you can get some casual work, i'm sure you would learn alot in a short space of time.
Be prepared for a lot of late days, stress and aching limbs :LOL: but it will get easier with time and experiance.

Good luck

Send me an e-mail if you need any advice, i was in the same situation 4 years ago. Ive got 4 guys working for me full time now and order books full until mid september.

It is hard work and it is physical. When youre standing there up to your ankles in mud in the freezing cold, you earn your money. Its worth it when youre standing there in the summer though as well!

I think you have been given some great advice here. One further thing is not to forget to pay income tax and NI contributions and, if possible, put some of your income away towards a pension. You are required by law to keep books regarding your earnings, outgoings etc. It’s a good idea to put a percentage of your income away every month towards your tax bill. This is very important as there are lots of self-employed people who think they can get one up on HM Inspector of Taxes. Inland Revenue have the power to make your life hell if they think you are trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

The other thing I would say is that people really appreciate workmen arriving on time. So if you say you’re going to be there at 9am, make sure you arrive on time, and if you are going to be late then ring and let them know. If you are honest and good at what you do then you won’t need to tout for business. Good luck.

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back