Installing Electric Cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening.

I have just purchased a flat that I will be letting out. I will be getting an electrician in to safety check the electrics. I also intend to buy a new electric cooker.

Does anyone know whether I can connect the cooker myself and then do the check, or should I ask the electricians to install it and check everything at the same time?

Clearly it is a relatively simple thing for me to install myself, but I am not sure where I stand from a legal position.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Well, it depends :)

Is there an existing cooker circuit with a cooker connection unit on the wall behind where the cooker is to be sited?

If there is, and provided that the circuit capacity is suitable for your chosen cooker, you can connect it yourself and it is not notifiable. You might ask your electrician to check the cable size and breaker rating and tell you the max. load the circuit can take. Use the same cable size for the connection to the cooker.

However, if any changes are needed to the cooker circuit, then the work is notifiable and you'd best get the electrician to do it.

Thanks a lot for that. Yes there is a already a cooker connection, and I don't plan to do anything other than remove the front plate and connect it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back